Car Mechanicing Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
It’s a main dealer who won’t use non genuine parts. Dealer labour rates can now be in excess of £160 per hour depending on the area you live and make of vehicle.

Where do you live and what car do you run?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It’s a main dealer who won’t use non genuine parts. Dealer labour rates can now be in excess of £160 per hour depending on the area you live and make of vehicle.
It is still a 30 minute job for a mechanic with the right tools. Extortion on a grand scale.
In the past I have changed dynamos, starter motors, water pumps which were really easy jobs in around an hour out the front of my parents house. I also put a new head gasket on a Ford Anglia in half a day and I'm not a trained mechanic.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It’s a main dealer who won’t use non genuine parts.

Don't be sure that main dealers only use genuine parts, I used to work up the road from http://www.calderclutch.co.uk/ & would often see the local Vauxhall dealers van parked there loading up :whistle:

Labour prices are silly though. Several years ago & I was thinking of buying a Saab & spoke to a local independant Saab garage & he boasted that they only charged £90 an hour labour :ohmy:

Don't be sure that main dealers only use genuine parts, I used to work up the road from http://www.calderclutch.co.uk/ & would often see the local Vauxhall dealers van parked there loading up :whistle:

Some parts are bought in and not produced by the manufacturer, or they run short and need a part in a hurry - many genuine parts are made by other manufacturers, for example Halfords oil used to be made by comma

with regards the starter motor replacement, I can't remember which car it is, I'm certain it was a Ford, but it's as though the engine is assembled around the starter motor!
And it's not an old V8 with it burred down the centre of the V (which did happen) but a much more modern one.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If the quote was for a scimitar gte with a v6 then id rip their arm off.
My god that was a total bastid to do.

But as with all things garage ,most jobs like a starter or alternator etc are usually straightforward.
As said above Disconnect the battery before you touch anything.

screenman

Legendary Member

Labour prices are silly though. Several years ago & I was thinking of buying a Saab & spoke to a local independant Saab garage & he boasted that they only charged £90 an hour labour :ohmy:

The overheads for that garage run at £2500 a week before wages. I often get that per hour with very little overheads so I do not consider it high.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The overheads for that garage run at £2500 a week before wages. I often get that per hour with very little overheads so I do not consider it high.

I appreciate that all businesses will have various overheads & costs, but I find that main dealers can sometimes charge more than double the rate of smaller independant garages, & paying more is no guarantee of better work. My current mechanic has even better rates, so far this year he's replaced an injector on the Movano (which a garage probably wouldn't have even spent time getting the old corroded one out) & replaced the alternator on my wifes car. He won't accept cash so if we're doing a Sunday dinner we plate him one up & he's happy as Larry ^_^

I guess youve not met many solicitors :smile:
I don't tend to mix in those circles, so no :smile: It was over 20 years ago when I worked over there, so I doubt they would still have records from then to prove/disprove :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Colleague of mines just had a clutch put in her Nissan CashCow.... £1600 !!

Holy Mary Mother of Trump! Some years back I had to have a new clutch in my Mitsubishi Outlander. Would have done it myself but that was a no-no at the time as I'd just had my elbow screwed back together. Good quality pattern parts, and a reasonably well respected indepented came to almost £900. That made my eyes water, but £1600 Would be positively sphincter loosening.

screenman

Legendary Member
I appreciate that all businesses will have various overheads & costs, but I find that main dealers can sometimes charge more than double the rate of smaller independant garages, & paying more is no guarantee of better work. My current mechanic has even better rates, so far this year he's replaced an injector on the Movano (which a garage probably wouldn't have even spent time getting the old corroded one out) & replaced the alternator on my wifes car. He won't accept cash so if we're doing a Sunday dinner we plate him one up & he's happy as Larry ^_^

I don't tend to mix in those circles, so no :smile: It was over 20 years ago when I worked over there, so I doubt they would still have records from then to prove/disprove :okay:

Have you seen what percentage of profit for turnover many main dealers make, it is not good.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Indeed. Major dealer margins are slim. Many rely on the warranty work to keep them afloat. Not so bad with Vauxhalls or Nissans that need fixing a lot, but Honda dealers can really struggle to make a coin.

Land Rover keep Marshals afloat.
Huge percentages involved with keeping them running.
I was told over 40% of the turnover is warranty claims from them

Top Bottom