Car MOT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
My MOT got extended and is due the 27th of Nov, with a new lockdown looking likely I was going to try and get the car MOT.

Usually there is a note on the website saying you can't get it done before a certain date but I can't see that on the website, So it's ok to get it done wherever?

tom73

Guru
Yes I've done one early before can't remember the time allowed but it was more than yours.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My MOT got extended and is due the 27th of Nov, with a new lockdown looking likely I was going to try and get the car MOT.

Usually there is a note on the website saying you can't get it done before a certain date but I can't see that on the website, So it's ok to get it done wherever?
You could always “get it done whenever”, but, if you wanted to preserve the original expiry date, you could only get it done, x days, before the date. I think, x=14., or, perhaps, 28.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Thanks guys it’s it’s Thursday as predicted I will ask my regular mechanic if he can do it this coming week before that.
Thanks and stay safe.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Will the widely leaked lockdown impact on MoTs?

My non-extended one is due at the end of the month.

No as car garages will be open.

However, in the real world, many garages may close or prioritise key workers or large fleet customers, so getting an MOT may involve makings lots of calls.

keithmac

Guru
It's a month minus a day for dating on tickets (13 month MOT).

You don't get any extra if it's already in the 6 month extension.

If it fails and is in it's 6 month extension period you lose all the remaining extension that you would have had.

DRM

Guru
Mine was extended, would have been due in January now, however it’s booked in for a service and mot on Monday, I’d rather know that it’s been serviced and had the brake fluid changed , which is due as well rather than risk not being able to get it done due to being locked down again

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran

However, in the real world, many garages may close or prioritise key workers or large fleet customers, so getting an MOT may involve makings lots of calls.
I will speak to my preferred garage, they know my wife is a nurse so may be able to squeeze her in.

The car had the MOT extended already, it’s been serviced and had work done in October but I want to know it’a safe, as my wife uses it more than me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The lockdown said non-esential retail. I'd say car repairs aren't retail, so should be open. We need to get MrsF's car booked in ASAP as it's had 6 months extension. I know it's OK as it's had new tyres and front drop links.

DRM

Guru
There was also the caveat that even though the MOT had been extended, the driver had to keep the vehicle roadworthy, there was a post about someone being prosecuted after an incident as the vehicle was found to be unroadworthy.

DRM

Guru

This could well be the reality, they also have to work around the regulations in force at the time too, limiting the amount of jobs they can actually do per day.

Top Bottom