Car owning idiocy thread ×341

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I share your anger skol.

But that sort of behavior is the norm in italy.

Double parking normal, parking on kerbs on corners. If your mum is in the car you can drive how you want, mowing down non family members on zebras, no need for a permit to park anywhere you want, just leave an elderly relative in it. A small number of italians do actually object to this - some set up a FB page with pics of exploits by fellow citizens they have dubbed imbeciles.

perplexed

Guru
Our garage would just about be big enough to get my wife's car in and her be able to get out of it. We don't use it though, because we have to use it for other stuff.

By stuff, I mean my bike, and goodness knows how many power tools and what have you. Some of the smaller bits and bobs could be stored in the house, but much of it can't. Circular saw, shredder, hedge trimmer, lawn mower, work-mate bench, trailer for car, two sets of wheels (I swap to winter wheels/tyres this time of year), bag of compost, and a couple of shelving sets to house bike bits, hand tools, boxes of screws, nails etc etc. I'm not sure where else I'd put this stuff, all of which is used reasonably regularly. Even if I had a shed which was secure enough, there's the topographical issues - I would have to lump bloody heavy kit up and down about 15 steps.

So the car will have to live on the drive for now. It has extra security on it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ah good, a thread where i can let off steam about pavement parking and driving on the pavement. My first moan is about the scumbag in the car last Saturday night who while i turned a corner on the pavement,came right at me in his car as he was actually driving half on the f..k..g pavement! Yes,he decided to mount the pavement at the dropped(i'm assuming) bit so his precious car wouldn't have to bump onto the kerb and then he drove what i'm assuming must've been about 50 yards on the pavement! So now we have a situation where as pedestrians it's not entirely safe to walk on the pavement as motorists now think not only are they there to park on,but also to drive on!!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I wasn't on about pavement parking specifically, but the too lazy to be properly lazy crew do indulge in it here and there. When Mrs D is in her wheelchair then I couldn't care less if their vehicles gain a new speedstripe while I'm lawfully pushing her along (although I don't deliberately do so). There are two blind blokes in the village, each with white stick and Labrador, and one wonders how they manage.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I share your anger skol.

But that sort of behavior is the norm in italy.

Double parking normal, parking on kerbs on corners. If your mum is in the car you can drive how you want, mowing down non family members on zebras, no need for a permit to park anywhere you want, just leave an elderly relative in it. A small number of italians do actually object to this - some set up a FB page with pics of exploits by fellow citizens they have dubbed imbeciles.
Reminds me of the wee wrestle a friend had with a woman who kept parking in his disabled space rather than have to walk maybe 20 or 30 yards up the road. He left a note on her windscreen, politely asking her not to park there, since his MS made it extremely difficult for him to go any distance on the (on a hill) pavement. She responded with a snotty, indignant note pointing out that she had a blue badge, so she was perfectly entitled to park wherever she wanted. He responded that she seemed to have misunderstood. The fact that she had a blue badge because she had a disabled brother, who he'd never seen, didn't mean his disabled spot was fair game for her. "Disabled spaces are not for people with blue badges. They are for people who are disabled." She ignored this, so he complained to the council. That seems to have done the trick. But her indignation and lack of anything resembling concern for his predicament was really quite astonishing.

D

Deleted member 26715

New build houses tend to be built with garages just big enough to drive a small car into - but not big enough to open the door once you're in.
Our house was build in 1968 you can't even drive an classic mini in there & easily get out, I know I've tried, so nothing built these days has a chance, not even a Smart

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 5448836, member: 9609"]does no one else bother with an old bit of carpet over the windscreen on frosty nights?[/QUOTE]
Couple of old bed sheets or duvet covers for me. Works a treat (as long as I remember to put them on).

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I noticed the same thing years ago, but I guess a relatively dry garage is good enough to be used as a "room", so why put your car in a room when you can leave it outside? In my case, the motorbike and all my tools live in the garage so there's no room for the car. I can't park in on the drive because then I couldn't get the bike out for work.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
My motorbikes, bicycles and car all go in the garage. Im lucky enough to have 2 garages, but even if I didn't it wouldn't be beyond even my limited brain capacity to sort something out.

But going back to the original post, it's just head scratching for me why people work so hard at being lazy. Being casually lazy I can understand, but being so lazy that it actually creates extra work for you is utterly illogical at any level.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
[QUOTE 5448775, member: 9609"]fire it up, then come back in doors for a cuppa [/QUOTE] not a good idea if you live near other people. The tabloids were saying that a couple years ago there were 6 reported thefts in 30 minutes, and victims were uninsured because the key was left in the car. Don't know how true that is, but I wouldn't do it on my street.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Most British houses are so miserably small that the 'garage' (if you are lucky enough to have one) is often the only storage space.
I park off road - lucky enough to have space for numerous vehicles, BUT my exit onto a narrow village 'back' lane is often made extremely difficult by vehicles parked opposite our gates, and/or overlapping/within millimetres of the gates - by drivers not using their drives/garages - in fact can't think of a single 'garage' in the whole stretch of newish housing used as such. Where families used to make do with one modest vehicle, it now seems one for each member is required, and they get bigger and fatter, as do their users.

D

Deleted member 26715

The tabloids were saying that a couple years ago there were 6 reported thefts in 30 minutes, and victims were uninsured because the key was left in the car.
Not sure about the number stolen, but it is true the owner will be uninsured, you will be deemed liable & they won't pay out.

byegad

Legendary Member
Storing a warm, wet car in a garage is not necessarily the best choice. Our drive easily takes two cars [we have one] and you could get our small car into the garage, but getting out of the car would be very difficult. The house was built in 2016.
As we face south the car gets nicely warmed up/defrosted depending on the time of year and weather. My trikes and lots of other stuff including Lady Byegad's bikes live in the garage.

Top Bottom