Car owning idiocy thread ×341

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I put my car in the garage, but even if i didn't, i would never scrape it myself. I would simply send Mr WD out to do it...^_^
When i was working, i always started earlier than my better half, i always srapped her screen while my car was warming up, now i am retiresd and the wife is still working, so she has to scrape it herself, i am with Dirk, i will get in it when the sun melts it.:laugh:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Currently in Stirling, what is this "sun" of which thou speakest?

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I frequently see people with a car on the drive, room for another but they insist on leaving it outside their property, usually on the grass verge/blocking pavement etc. Bloke on corner across from me has a ton of space in the road alongside his house but like to park on the grass verge/pavement, rutting the turf & getting mud on the road.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I park off road - lucky enough to have space for numerous vehicles, BUT my exit onto a narrow village 'back' lane is often made extremely difficult by vehicles parked opposite our gates, and/or overlapping/within millimetres of the gates - by drivers not using their drives/garages - in fact can't think of a single 'garage' in the whole stretch of newish housing used as such.
I'm another person with a modern house with a garage that no modern car would fit in, but like youngoldbloke, I have off-road space... but my exit on the access road is frequently blocked by farking lorries parked straight across the farking opening. Not even opposite the opening or overlapping - completely across it on the same side. There's no excuse for that IMO. It seems debatable whether it's highway obstruction and so far I'm lucky that I've not wanted to use the car when daffodils have parked there.

mjr

That FB page kind of exists here, not sure if its at a local level but i've seen local cars posted on 'Parking Like A Tw@t'
You may have because I keep sending them!

Reactions: gbb
D

Deleted member 1258

I don't have a garage or a drive. I have a piece of hard standing in the back garden that I can use but its a major faf getting the car in and out so I tend to only use it if the car isn't being used for several days.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have a garage and a drive, both cars live on the drive. There isn't enough room in the garage with a chest freezer, bike, workbench and tool chest plus all the other odds and sods. The contents of the freezer are probably worth more than both cars combined and as for frozen screens, that's what warm water is for.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Storing a warm, wet car in a garage is not necessarily the best choice.

That's what I read a while ago. Storing your car in a warm sealed room without wind to disperse the humid atmosphere is an invitation for serious rust. Garages in London are pretty rare. We all park on the street, and pay the LA handsomely for the privilege. It doesn't stop sad types from believing that the five metre stretch of public highway outside their front doors belongs to them exclusively.
Tossers.

mjr

The contents of the freezer are probably worth more than both cars combined and as for frozen screens, that's what warm water is for.
Salt water's better, isn't it? But not too hot and don't throw it on:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwkvuyY6CKY

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Fortunately my garage is pleasantly well ventilated, being home as it is to my fleet of bicycles and the only known complete example of one particular model of motorcycle in the UK.

AndyRM

XOXO
FB_IMG_1542909561829.jpg

Rusty Nails

We remember
Garages are so much more useful than just keeping cars in, say perhaps for a bike workshop, general workshop, or gym.

Generally cars do not rust to a serious degree these days and a bottle of warm water cleans the windscreen with no noise or hard work, and stops it misting up inside.

MarkF

Guru
My mothers house with built-on garage was erected in 1974 (by my late father), a row of 3 big detached houses with a private drive. My dad used to park his Morris Marina in the garage and an Austin Princess too, big family cars. But my mum couldn't get out of her little Suzuki Swift a couple of years back, she now has a Fiat 500, it's easy to get that into the garage but the doors are so big that they clang against the sides, cars have got so fat and lardy.

I have a garage, it's full of bikes, as above, what's the point in putting new cars in them? They don't need weather protection. Look at how many diddly "3 bed executive boxes" turn their garage into a 4th bedroom.

Our cars are outside and luckily for me, I keep my scooter and motorbike in my mother's garage and the 1993 MX5 in the MIL's. :okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
We all park on the street, and pay the LA handsomely for the privilege. It doesn't stop sad types from believing that the five metre stretch of public highway outside their front doors belongs to them exclusively.
Tossers.

We had a new neighbour move in a couple of doors down, who promptly asked the people who live in the house between her and us to stop parking their car in front of their house as she wanted to park there so she could see her car while sat in her living room! You can imagine how that went...^_^

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We had a new neighbour move in a couple of doors down, who promptly asked the people who live in the house between her and us to stop parking their car in front of their house as she wanted to park there so she could see her car while sat in her living room! You can imagine how that went...^_^
David Attenborough should do a programme on this strange species, often found in cul-de-sacs. Extraordinarily territorial specimens.

Top Bottom