Car owning idiocy thread ×341

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
She's never asked
You mean you just do it because you know what's expected?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
not a good idea if you live near other people. The tabloids were saying that a couple years ago there were 6 reported thefts in 30 minutes, and victims were uninsured because the key was left in the car. Don't know how true that is, but I wouldn't do it on my street.

T'is true. Their negligence exposes the insurer to an unreasonable risk, and they won't cough.

Last edited:
One thing stuck me is that most cars are parked outside, despite almost every house here in Poshville having a garage. Some are so bone idle the effort of turning the steering wheel and parking on the driveway is too much hard work, so they dump it In the road and inflict it upon the rest of us.

We get this too. It astounds me: since when did the road, which after all is public property paid for by all of us, become a place for individuals to store their private property for hours, days, sometimes weeks on end? Especially as it means effectively blocking half of the road width. If I bought a large piece of property that I couldn't or didn't want to store in my own house or on my land, I wouldn't be allowed to leave it in the park or on the street, so I don't see why cars are any different.

What really annoys me is when I'm riding past parked cars and I'm on my side of the road, I'll often wait for oncoming traffic at a gap in the parked cars so we both have plenty of space, only for the drivers to have a full on tantrum at me for 'blocking the road'...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Our house was build in 1968 you can't even drive an classic mini in there & easily get out, I know I've tried, so nothing built these days has a chance, not even a Smart

I feel your pain, our house was built circa 1930. I think the garage might just take a Riley Imp.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Hmm . . .

Yes, 1 x car, 9 x bicycles and 1 x motorbike in one garage. The car isnt huge which helps. Second motorbike and worthless tat in the other garage. Bicycle I'm most likely to be using the next day goes in the rather large porch.

My place was built in 1960, and the garage is in the back garden. Back then there was plenty of room to get an Austin A30 down the side and then turn at an angle out back and put it away. Alas, modern cars are a bit lardier and wouldn't fit around the corner at the back, so a previous owner has had a second garage built in the side.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I feel your pain, our house was built circa 1930. I think the garage might just take a Riley Imp.
I never knew Riley made an Imp, what a great looking car, http://ashridgeautomobiles.co.uk/sales/vehicle/1935-riley-9-imp-arriving-soon/

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
[QUOTE 5448938, member: 9609"]Thats an interesting point regarding the ever bloated cars we now drive. Mother lives in a block of flats and they all have garages, it is such a tight fit to get a modern car into one of these narrow garages (built late 50s) that none of the garages are used for cars,[/QUOTE]

Photo nicked from Google:

car_photo_369484_25.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
I share your anger skol.

But that sort of behavior is the norm in italy.

Double parking normal, parking on kerbs on corners. If your mum is in the car you can drive how you want, mowing down non family members on zebras, no need for a permit to park anywhere you want, just leave an elderly relative in it. A small number of italians do actually object to this - some set up a FB page with pics of exploits by fellow citizens they have dubbed imbeciles.
That FB page kind of exists here, not sure if its at a local level but i've seen local cars posted on 'Parking Like A Tw@t'

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom