Car scratched, can it be fixed at home ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Spray can, Davids Isopon pack plus a various grades of wet and dry including a block and about an hour or so's labour and it's done.

View: https://youtu.be/OwZuWNet8D4

Very poorly, you should have added.

screenman

Legendary Member
The rear bumper is plastic. The scratches to the front should polish out with some compound . You can get some Farecla G3 from Halfords and possibly some 2000 grit wet or dry . The front scratches may just polish out using some cotton cloth and G3 . If the scratches don't polish out you may have to flat them , but be careful. Polish up with compound afterwards.
The rear bumper needs spraying .
If you are any good at spraying with an aerosol can you may be able to get an aerosol repair kit from a dealer. Phone up your nearest dealer and ask for the parts dept . They should be able to tell you what the colour of your car is from your registration number and whether they do a repair kit for that colour .

With all that good advice what fade out do you suggest using? Any idea how many microns thick the laquer is before it goes through and the job gets bigger.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Are you kidding? some maybe but they are few and far between, two weeks training and most of that not painting anything. Could explain why most fail within a couple of years of being in business as far as I can see.
I used them a while back and the person did an excellent job.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I used them a while back and the person did an excellent job.

The results are totally dependant on the person doing it, Chipsaway and their competitors can be horrific or can be amazing, you tend to roll the dice. My suggestion would be to ask very nicely at a couple of local main dealers who they use for their smart repairs, if you are nice enough you might get given a phone number.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Given the small area, I'd DIY it.

I recently re-sprayed my A pillar (windscreen) as due to age etc, the paint had bubbled. Took a fair amount of work, but was able to fade in around the top of the screen. Not an easy job, and took a fair few hours......

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
So, am I right in thinking that the small scuff/scratches on the front wheel arch may be fixable with a bit of T-Cut, but the more major damage on the rear bumper is either best left, or fixed by someone who knows what they are doing ?

D

Deleted member 26715

So, am I right in thinking that the small scuff/scratches on the front wheel arch may be fixable with a bit of T-Cut, but the more major damage on the rear bumper is either best left, or fixed by someone who knows what they are doing ?
Yes, but if you are going to have the back done, I suspect they will throw the front in without charge

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d leave it if it’s not going to rust. She’ll only do it again a week after the repair. Damhikt happens :rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd touch it up myself, and have done. Wife's new car got scraped on the bumper whilst parked. Took a few applications of paint, but you'd not know it was there unless a foot away and looking for it. If you are happy with spending a few hundred for a perfect job, then fine. I've removed loads of marks from family cars by careful use of t-cut and various polishes. When the paint's gone, then you need to touch up. Got a 17 year old car here, and it has a few marks, not that anyone, other than me, can see.

My car is currently parked next to a 6 year old car at our caravan. I won't say which car looks much newer/less marked.... (discounting styling) as I look after mine. It's got far more visible scrapes.

screenman

Legendary Member
Given the small area, I'd DIY it.

I recently re-sprayed my A pillar (windscreen) as due to age etc, the paint had bubbled. Took a fair amount of work, but was able to fade in around the top of the screen. Not an easy job, and took a fair few hours......

Rust? If so and you have air bags I hope it was not serious, rust in that area occurs normally when a windscreen is fitted badly.

You need the tools, some means to spray paint the after sanding, filling if any
and smoothing down for painting, if you do not have the skills and can’t spray
then it’s obviously going to have to go to someone who can do this.

If no rust appears, then no obvious rush to sort it is required, that will give you
time to source a fix.

Top Bottom