Car scratched, can it be fixed at home ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I think leaving it for the time being, after trying to T-Cut the front scratches might be the best plan.

kapelmuur

Veteran
A while back I scratched a car thar I was planning to trade in, so I got Chips Away to fix it.

The repair looked good to me, but when the dealer inspected the car he asked whether the paintwork had been touched up on the wing.

I asked how he could tell and he said that the shade didn’t match exactly and he could see an orange peel effect.

He knocked £100 off the trade in offer as he said the repair would have to be re-done.

Smudge

Veteran
A while back I scratched a car thar I was planning to trade in, so I got Chips Away to fix it.

The repair looked good to me, but when the dealer inspected the car he asked whether the paintwork had been touched up on the wing.

I asked how he could tell and he said that the shade didn’t match exactly and he could see an orange peel effect.

He knocked £100 off the trade in offer as he said the repair would have to be re-done.

Which he wont do of course...... that'll just be an extra 100 quid in his pocket.

D

Deleted member 26715

Which he wont do of course...... that'll just be an extra 100 quid in his pocket.
Beat me to it

Smudge

Veteran
WeBuyAnyCar are particularly good at knocking down the buy in price, they have a reputation for it.
Go on their site and it'll always be a fair price for your car, until you actually take it to them. They'll then go over the car with a magnifying glass, finding all sorts of stuff keep knocking the price down.
I doubt anyone has actually got the price they were first quoted.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Some smart repairers are very very good, most of the franchise types like chips away are shyte..

If you want it to look perfect do your homework and Dont bother diy, ing as that will look crap and the ultra thin paint will sink and fade..and you wont get a match, that takes skill and know how

£200 should get you a good finish

vickster

Legendary Member
In the business to maximise their profits. They’re not making any money on selling you a car with margin as a dealer taking a p/x would be

screenman

Legendary Member
Some smart repairers are very very good, most of the franchise types like chips away are shyte..

If you want it to look perfect do your homework and Dont bother diy, ing as that will look crap and the ultra thin paint will sink and fade..and you wont get a match, that takes skill and know how

£200 should get you a good finish

Reason being a weeks training a lot of it not hands on does not give the skills to do quality work, franchisors are in business to sell franchises, if the franchisee fails they get to sell the area again.

Top Bottom