Car suggestion thread - £30k to spend TODAY - Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Berlingo XL or Volvo V90 est?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I suggest you whitewash your teeth.
I don't mind the PR stuff that comes with competition wins as the company needs payback for their sponsorship; the Channel 4 / Jack Daniels prize to Nashville had me on a Ch4 TV programme and there's YouTube video of an X-Factor singer doing a gig in my house for Chicago Town. The amount of food they provided fed us for a week :mrpig: and the neighbours wondered what was going on with cameras and reporters all over the street.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well done @DCLane

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
With respect Joffey, Hybrids are con job. They only do a few miles better per gallon compared to conventional ICE once driven any distance. Either go full electric or petrol-

Expect to pay lots for running a vehicle whether EV or ICE these days.

@DCLane I would stick to buying low if thats what you've always done. Cars are a vast waste of money.
I've had Honda Jazzes, first ICE and now hybrid, and there's around an extra 25mpg in the hybrid (last petrol fill it was over 75mpg). Admittedly it's a smaller car than the CR V but I think the CR V uses a similar system so I'd imagine there would be a similar difference.

(I'm not a fast driver - I tend to take a gentle figure around 63mph but accelerate to c.70 in outside lanes. My last journey back from the Suffolk coast gave me 78mpg. Hybrids are far more economical in slow moving traffic, though a stop-start system might reduce that difference somewhat. Also, because I live on the 5th floor, EV/PHEV was not an obvious option,hence hybrid.)

Joffey

Big Dosser
I don't mind the PR stuff that comes with competition wins as the company needs payback for their sponsorship; the Channel 4 / Jack Daniels prize to Nashville had me on a Ch4 TV programme and there's YouTube video of an X-Factor singer doing a gig in my house for Chicago Town. The amount of food they provided fed us for a week :mrpig: and the neighbours wondered what was going on with cameras and reporters all over the street.

How am I just finding this out having raced with you for over a year??? Please post links on the CCC Chat!!!

Seriously well done though, sounds like you like your comps!!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@Joffey - whilst I love my job it is a bit on the stressy side, and I do them occasionally to help with that. And to keep my slogan-writing hand in if I ever want to leave education and return to the industry. The video is the second one down of these, but this was just as I started to lose weight so it's 'big' me: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=xfactor+chicago+town+danyl

Cerdic

Good choice.

As somebody has already noted, Mitsubishi have pulled out of the UK/European market completely. So aftersales support in the future is an unknown quantity, irrespective of what they may say today!

Volvos are really nice cars with lovely interiors, but a mate is a Volvo mechanic and tells me they suffer from problems with the autobox. Very expensive to fix…

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

A brief update - the Honda's been selected and agreed, being delivered (with filming :blink: ) next Wednesday.

I'm a bit :hyper: still.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Insurance sorted:

Son gets the Tepee - £1400 fully comp for a 17yo with no black box and 8k miles seems OK-ish with us.
I've moved to a new policy for a year without him on with ~£400 refund from the 10 months left. A telephone discussion made it much simpler and a better solution than their website/app (thanks Hastings Direct for being helpful).

This is getting real ...

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

If anyone's watching Starstruck on ITV they've just shown my name on there as the winner of the £30k car in the Cinch sponsored competition :blink: so I'm guessing it's out there ...

The car I chose gets delivered on Wednesday. After son no. 2's race in Hull we popped to the Honda dealership there to have a look at a Honda CR-V and it seems to be the sensible decision. At least we can get 2 bikes in the back with ease :okay:

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
If anyone's watching Starstruck on ITV they've just shown my name on there as the winner of the £30k car in the Cinch sponsored competition :blink: so I'm guessing it's out there ...

The car I chose gets delivered on Wednesday. After son no. 2's race in Hull we popped to the Honda dealership there to have a look at a Honda CR-V and it seems to be the sensible decision. At least we can get 2 bikes in the back with ease :okay:
Congrats on the win , just catching up on the thread! I’d have said the Honda as well ! Best car I’ve ever owned, it’s still going at 16 yrs old this year and 155k miles on the odo . Had Sold it to a neighbour 6 yr ago .

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

One 'prize' car, which was delivered with a big purple bow, some chocolates and a big tub of flowers:

PXL_20220416_170600702.jpg

The Tepee's staying, having been gifted to son no. 2.

There was about two hours' of filming, which will be on Youtube and elsewhere shortly I would guess ... :blink:

Top Bottom