Car suggestion thread - £30k to spend TODAY - Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Berlingo XL or Volvo V90 est?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
For reasons I can't share - yet - I've £30,000 to spend on a car (see my Competition thread / Mundane News post). Today. And ... it's got to be spent on a small selection of vehicles.

My needs are changing as son no. 2 will get the Peugeot Tepee and I won't need to be travelling all over the country shipping bikes / wheels / bits to races. However, I need the following:

- Need to sit quite high and upright. Post my 2016 crash means I need to sit high-up in a car, otherwise it starts to hurt a lot after about an hour.
- Automatic. My left knee is stuffed according to the doctors, and continuing to drive a manual is making it worse.
- Petrol. SWMBO would end up forgetting, and has done several times. It's easier to not drive a diesel.
- Cruise control preferred. It was nice in my Saab and I miss it on long journeys, which we do a lot. SWMBO has an old Honda Jazz with it.
- Space. Not massive, but enough to fit a bike and bits plus the ability to have roof bars in case. I love the space our Pug Tepee has, but it's very basic.

I've narrowed it down to four options from the list available:

- A 2019 Honda CR-V 2.0 hybrid, not top of the range but close. 3000 miles. High-up, hopefully spacious enough. > CC members picked this one
- A 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid, 20000 miles. Spacious, but may be a bit too big?
- A 2019 Volvo V90 estate. 10000 miles. I had a look at one yesterday; very nice, but low down.
- A 2020 Citroen Berlingo XL estate. 0 miles. But it's a diesel. And it seems a lot to spend on what in reality is a van.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully appreciated ... given I spend £1500-ish usually on a car it seems an awful lot of money so I'm out of my depth here. Normally I'm just checking it's got all 4 wheels and a year's MOT. Even my Saab convertible was only £8k and that was a one-off gift purchase.

Give me £30k to spend on a bike and bits, I'm fine, but this :blink:

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
With fuel prices the way they are I would be going for a hybrid. Then I'd be looking at age and mileage and if you have no preference regarding the looks of the 2 hybrids on the list I would go for the 2019 Honda, especially as it has very low mileage.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I would go for the Volvo. Great boot space, lower roof line for ease in lifting bikes to bike racks (if that’s what you use) and these have a really plush interior are well built and reliable.
The Volvo sits lower I know but your seating position in relation to the foot well/pedals should be the same as the others? it’s just lower to the ground on the outside that’s all.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd go for the CRV. My parents have a (non hybrid) petrol. It's the perfect size IMHO, I would have got one had I the money and had I not been set on a diesel. Plus Honda or Toyota have the best name in automatic gearboxes; the mechanics I watch online all say the same, automatic gearboxes can be trash at 80k miles so it pays to go Japanese to mitigate this.

I know what you mean about low down; my passat is fairly low and I have a dodgy knee and back, I have to get in very gingerly to avoid spraining or twisting something. Climbing up or in, as opposed to falling down into the seat, is a much more comfortable option and also better visibiliity when driving.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Volvo is the quality offering amongst that, interior street ahead of the others plus Volvo have the comfiest seats ever if you have back issues.

is a V60 or XC60 an option if you don't want something too massive, the XC60 also being a bit higher seating position?

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Of those, CRV all day, given your requirements.

Honourable mention for the Lexus RX450 as an outsider
Thanks. Several Lexus NX's as an option, but no RX450. The NX looked too small though.

The Volvo is the quality offering amongst that, interior street ahead of the others plus Volvo have the comfiest seats ever if you have back issues.

is a V60 or XC60 an option if you don't want something too massive, the XC60 also being a bit higher seating position?

It'd be an option, if there were any available on the list. There aren't unfortunately as the only one is an older diesel with a lot of miles. 'Massive' isn't a problem - I've had two (banger) Merc W124 estates - but there's no XC90 in the price range either. And I can't pay extra to get it.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ah, you're picking from a car pool list so it seems, but also mention competition win??

Intriguing - not often a 2nd hand car is a prize, unless it run by by a 2nd hand car dealer....

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@T4tomo - you've got it. It's from a major TV channel, with a programme sponsored by an online car dealer. And a man with over-white teeth advertising them.

I've had two wins from the channel before, both back in 2008: £10k in women's clothes - :girldance:- and £12.5k which I used most of to buy my Saab convertible.

PK99

Legendary Member
We almost bought a new CRV the other weekend at a dealer promotion event.

My dodgy knee and general health issues mean that I need a higher, easier access car than my current civic tourer.

With back seats flat, plenty of space in the back for bikes.

Timing was not right, but we will almost certainly buy one in 6 months

We have driven Hondas for years and their legendary reliability is not spin.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@T4tomo - you've got it. It's from a major TV channel, with a programme sponsored by an online car dealer. And a man with over-white teeth advertising them.

I've had two wins from the channel before, both back in 2008: £10k in women's clothes - :girldance:- and £12.5k which I used most of to buy my Saab convertible.
was it a Cinch to win it:laugh::laugh:

well done, pleased for you!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Thanks for all the comments. They've helped affirm what we thought as a family so are really appreciated. Virtual cake to you all 🎂

@Spiderweb @T4tomo - the Volvo was very nicely equipped. Had I been 100% OK with sitting tilted rather than upright it'd be my preference. And with track racing the bike needs to go in the car rather than on the roof. Getting to the track with wet tyres after driving through rain has meant some very strong words from the commissaires previously.

@Joffey @PK99 @Electric_Andy @Bonefish Blues @netman - thanks, and that was the family's thoughts too. SWMBO has a Honda and absolutely nothing's gone wrong with it in 11 years of ownership. She asked yesterday "ooh, can I have a new car then?" before it was rebuffed. Semi-politely. She suggested I needed height. Son no. 1 just went "it's a car, get something hybrid-y". Son. 2 went "Anything, as I'm getting the Tepee".

Decision had to be made quickly. And I've gone for the Honda, which the company's put on hold for me. It's white, but I don't mind the colour. It hopefully arrives some time next week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom