Car suggestion thread - £30k to spend TODAY - Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Berlingo XL or Volvo V90 est?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well done! As you're in a hurry:

On looks alone and no practical reasons: 2019 Volvo V90 estate
Practical but ugly as as: 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid

Have fun with the new car!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Eh?
You could have bought a fleet of C1s for that money ;-)
Yep. But ... I could only spend it on one car. So it'd be one C1.

SWMBO wondered if we could split it and spend it on two. But the t&c's stated one car value, up to £30k.

My last few car purchases, with the exception of the Saab convertible, have been cheap:
Peugeot Tepee - £1100 and very dented. £400 for a new door to replace the caved-in one = £1500.
Saab 9000 - £600 and £280 (bought two)
Merc E-class - £1500
Fiat Seicento - free via Freecycle

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

So we going to ignore the women's clothes are we? I need details for closure.

Two things happened there. Firstly, SWMBO got a new wardrobe full of items. And, because they operated other catalogues and there wasn't much available for 5' tall in their range, we were allowed to spend it on a few other things. So we also got a new 3-piece suite, dining room suite, oven, microwave plus other things.

Two things happened there. Firstly, SWMBO got a new wardrobe full of items. And, because they operated other catalogues and there wasn't much available for 5' tall in their range, we were allowed to spend it on a few other things. So we also got a new 3-piece suite, dining room suite, oven, microwave plus other things.
Phew!, thanks for details DC. I can rest easy now. Was worried there for a while.

CXRAndy

Guru
With fuel prices the way they are I would be going for a hybrid. Then I'd be looking at age and mileage and if you have no preference regarding the looks of the 2 hybrids on the list I would go for the 2019 Honda, especially as it has very low mileage.
With respect Joffey, Hybrids are con job. They only do a few miles better per gallon compared to conventional ICE once driven any distance. Either go full electric or petrol-

Expect to pay lots for running a vehicle whether EV or ICE these days.

@DCLane I would stick to buying low if thats what you've always done. Cars are a vast waste of money.

Reactions: gbb

Milzy

Guru
For reasons I can't share - yet - I've £30,000 to spend on a car (see my Competition thread / Mundane News post). Today. And ... it's got to be spent on a small selection of vehicles.

My needs are changing as son no. 2 will get the Peugeot Tepee and I won't need to be travelling all over the country shipping bikes / wheels / bits to races. However, I need the following:

- Need to sit quite high and upright. Post my 2016 crash means I need to sit high-up in a car, otherwise it starts to hurt a lot after about an hour.
- Automatic. My left knee is stuffed according to the doctors, and continuing to drive a manual is making it worse.
- Petrol. SWMBO would end up forgetting, and has done several times. It's easier to not drive a diesel.
- Cruise control preferred. It was nice in my Saab and I miss it on long journeys, which we do a lot. SWMBO has an old Honda Jazz with it.
- Space. Not massive, but enough to fit a bike and bits plus the ability to have roof bars in case. I love the space our Pug Tepee has, but it's very basic.

I've narrowed it down to four options from the list available:

- A 2019 Honda CR-V 2.0 hybrid, not top of the range but close. 3000 miles. High-up, hopefully spacious enough.
- A 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid, 20000 miles. Spacious, but may be a bit too big?
- A 2019 Volvo V90 estate. 10000 miles. I had a look at one yesterday; very nice, but low down.
- A 2020 Citroen Berlingo XL estate. 0 miles. But it's a diesel. And it seems a lot to spend on what in reality is a van.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully appreciated ... given I spend £1500-ish usually on a car it seems an awful lot of money so I'm out of my depth here. Normally I'm just checking it's got all 4 wheels and a year's MOT. Even my Saab convertible was only £8k and that was a one-off gift purchase.

Give me £30k to spend on a bike and bits, I'm fine, but this :blink:
I love the Hondas but I’d chose Volvo V90 out of those.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@CXRAndy - I'd have agreed, being on the look-out for a £1500 car recently to allow son no. 2 my Tepee permanently - but I'm not paying for it :okay:

If the size, type, etc. bothers me I'll sell it on. And buy something cheaper. Fortunately we're in a position not to need the money at present, so it'll stay for a few months anyway.

Joffey

Big Dosser
With respect Joffey, Hybrids are con job. They only do a few miles better per gallon compared to conventional ICE once driven any distance. Either go full electric or petrol-

@DCLane I would stick to buying low if thats what you've always done. Cars are a vast waste of money.

It's free I gather... our fellow CCC'er has had a touch of fortune!!!

fullfathom5

I disagree. I've got a 2019 Toyota Corolla estate and regularly get 60 mpg+ on long journeys. With all cars though it's about how you drive them - if you've a heavy right foot then your mpg / range will suffer.

Of the options listed I'd probably avoid the Outlander as Mitsubishi have ceased new car sales in the UK (although they do offer ongoing after sales support).

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I disagree. I've got a 2019 Toyota Corolla estate and regularly get 60 mpg+ on long journeys. With all cars though it's about how you drive them - if you've a heavy right foot then your mpg / range will suffer.

Of the options listed I'd probably avoid the Outlander as Mitsubishi have ceased new car sales in the UK (although they do offer ongoing after sales support).
I have a 17 yo Volvo diesel that will do an honest 55mpg on a long journey.

Don't get me wrong, I love Toyota Hybrids (I've had 2) they're good, but the key influencers of mpg tend to be journey profile and style of driving.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

It's free I gather... our fellow CCC'er has had a touch of fortune!!!

Not entirely free / without effort. It was a bit of effort to enter, plus there's some PR to do for the company. Expect a video of the hand-over appearing on a TV advert near you soon. I've booked a haircut tomorrow to be presentable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom