Car-tastrophy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I'm ambivalent. I will say though that we had a Kia Sportabe, Kia being a different division of the same firm, the current model, and it was hateful. Just because your little car has been brilliant was no consolation to us when the clutch exploded at 900 miles. Then it needed new trajling arm bushes at 20,000 miles. Then it started developing an intermitted hesitation that the dealer couldn't sort, but by then we'd decided to get rid anyway.

Thats why comments like, "Ive had my Ford Tippex for 999 years and its done e=mc2 miles, and I've not even had to top up the screenwash" bring nothing to the party. It doesn't change the poor unfortunate OP's experience, and isn't even relevant to his situation.

Your Hyndai might be lovely. But that doesn't automatically mean someone elses is lovely, or that your next one will be. Thus it is a meaningless observation, though doubtless, of course, trotted out with good intent.

Having not heard anything about the Hyundai Elantra problem I was curious about what was going on, hence my post asking "Whats the problem with Hyundai?". Your post "It's a Hyundai." was unnecessary and unhelpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh well, these things are sent to test us!
bought a 2011 Subaru Forester w/ only 11K miles on it. loved loved loved it. sweet little 5spd MT that shifted w/ just a flick of the wrist. after only 3 yrs I was on my 4th engine. never cost me a dime, always got a loaner, the dealer couldn't have been nicer. but I was done w/ all the visits & swapping cars etc. after a while I decided to take a hit financially & trade it for another car. one of the best decisions I ever made. don't we have better things to do w/ our lives?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Your Hyndai might be lovely. But that doesn't automatically mean someone elses is lovely, or that your next one will be. Thus it is a meaningless observation, though doubtless, of course, trotted out with good intent.

It's about as meaningless as your sample of one observation that your Kia was rubbish.

On the same fractured logic, the OP's sample of one observation of his VW is equally meaningless.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Has it been modified? I did not realise they made any 2015 Passats with 300bhp.

It's a BiTDi 4motion, they're 237bhp standard but mine was mapped to 295bhp. I asked VW if this had contributed to the wastegate failure and they suspect not; had it been the turbo itself it could have been a factor.

I'm getting it back sometime tomorrow, final bill is sitting somewhere around £3,350 :surrender::laugh: Oh well, you win some you lose some...

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I know of the R36 but they stopped selling those a few years before 2015.

Yeah this one is a B8, I think the R36 models were B6 so a couple of generations older :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thought I'd add the latest chapter to this saga :okay::laugh:

I got the car back last week, the final bill was just shy of £3.4k. It drives much better with the power picking up very quickly - I can see now the effect of the sticky wastegate.

I drove it for about the 3rd time since paying the bill this afternoon and was super thrilled to see the EPC light and engine management light ping up on the dash on my way to the office :sad: It went back in to limp mode but I managed to get it home and plug it in to retrieve the fault codes. This time the culprit was the DPF differential pressure sensor. Its now back in the garage awaiting two new sensors, I'll get it back again tomorrow evening once I've shelled out another £220.

I've suggested to the garage owner that we start a sweepstake to guess which part will fail next, at least that way I have a chance of winning some cash towards the next repair bill :laugh:

Thought I'd add the latest chapter to this saga :okay::laugh:

I got the car back last week, the final bill was just shy of £3.4k. It drives much better with the power picking up very quickly - I can see now the effect of the sticky wastegate.

I drove it for about the 3rd time since paying the bill this afternoon and was super thrilled to see the EPC light and engine management light ping up on the dash on my way to the office :sad: It went back in to limp mode but I managed to get it home and plug it in to retrieve the fault codes. This time the culprit was the DPF differential pressure sensor. Its now back in the garage awaiting two new sensors, I'll get it back again tomorrow evening once I've shelled out another £220.

I've suggested to the garage owner that we start a sweepstake to guess which part will fail next, at least that way I have a chance of winning some cash towards the next repair bill :laugh:
Sorry to hear that! Had a similar issue with an M3, always back at BMW with sensor issues, limp home mode woes etc. Sometimes you just get a bad 'un :sad:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
And so for the latest update on this ongoing saga :whistle:

After the sensors were fixed the car ran perfectly for about a week. I then had yet another engine management light appear on the dash; on reading the code at home this time it was the DPF filter working below optimum efficiency. I emailed the VW dealer and told them to expect the car on the forecourt the next day and they dutifully took it in and carried out a 'forced regen' of the DPF which worked a treat, it ran perfectly fine again. For 300 miles, and now the light is back on. Another email to the VW dealer's MD went off yesterday again telling them to expect the car on their forecourt but this time stating I didn't want it back. I have requested a financial reimbursement which is less than the forecourt value of the car but about what i could have expected to get for it in a private sale which I think is fair. I just don't have the patience or funds to continue to fix what they have admitted is a pig of a car - after they did the last work to it the VW brand manager suggested I sell it asap, a glowing recommendation of their products :laugh: I had gone as far as to advertise it privately in a few modified car and VW facebook groups but took the adverts down as soon as the fault recurred - I can't sell it in good conscience in its current state :sad: To their credit the dealer have been very open to discussions and had previously offered to "move it on" through their inter-dealer auction system so hopefully there won't be too much negotiation required.

I emptied the car this afternoon, removed the bike racks from the roof and the multitude of face masks and sanitiser from the various storage pockets that my wife appears to have lovingly filled for me :laugh: A sad end to my ownership of what is simultaneously the best and worst car I have ever owned :sad::laugh: I genuinely have no clue what I'm getting next :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
It's nice...and reassuring, the garage is supportive, I suspect a lot of garages would run a mile.

I've long since realised, I'm Captain Sensible when it comes to cars, I always fancy something a bit exotic, exciting....but then I think....ooooh, what if it goes wrong, its gonna cost :whistle:...and boring old me comes to the fore again :laugh:. (Astra owner, say no more)

Top Bottom