Car tax (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We drive easily 750 miles a week.

That's almost two months motoring for us .

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Surely that could be got round by an increase in fuel duty. Big heavy cars with big engines and those doing a high mileage would pay more so similar to road pricing.

The whole point of the Drago Quotient (tm) is that pump fuel sales will decline sharply when you can no longer buy new cars to put pump fuel into.

No they don't. They hardly ever use brakes due to regen from the electric motor acting as brakes.

My experience is the tyres wear no faster than any ICE. I have nearly 200,000 miles with EVs so can speak with some authority on this point

We're on our third so can speak with some authority on that point and are finding that they do wear more quickly, particularly those on the driven wheels.

However, the country roads round here involve a lot of slowing and subesquent accelerating and cornering, rarely possible to keep a steady speed in a straight line for very long which is probably not conducive to good tyre life on heavy and torque laden cars. It might well be very different if Mrs D commuted up the motorway each day with the cruise set to 65.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Our journey is for our daughter's school run. It involves 4 miles of country lanes 2, junctions 18miles of 60mph single carriageway around 50 miles of dual carriageway. That is my journey in the morning travel time on ave 1hr30.

A daily run of 144 miles a ridiculous distance to attend a school!

Is that through necessity or preference of school?

The truth is we are all going to have to accept that a lot of lifestyles that have been viable for people for some time might not be in the future.

Or we could ignore it and watch the world burn.

Definitely.

40 odd years ago the average family might have one car. Now it's often every adult has one. .

Cost of living rises might mean we need to go backwards which in some cases might be better for the planet.

D

Deleted member 26715

Or we could ignore it and watch the world burn.
That will be lots of peoples preference as their life(style) is more important than the world
Mrs D and I each have two cars, but if I can walk or cycle a journey I do, no excuses.
2 cars & a motorbike, but try not to use an of them if here is a walk/bike alternative, I even feel guilty about putting the bike in the car to ride new places.

CXRAndy

Guru
A daily run of 144 miles a ridiculous distance to attend a school!

Is that through necessity or preference of school?
Through preference
Well they are braking using the magnets, but still braking. You’re still releasing particulates from the tyres. Your school run distance is crazy.
Yet, we are not using up tyres any faster than when we had ICE vehicles. I put this down to the way EVs smoothly deliver power. We don't hoon around, exploiting every last electron of charge for fun.

Braking effect is done without friction material, which until not so long ago like petrol/diesel contained carcogentic substances.

EVs are far superior even though we are doing lots of miles- our personal choice.

Our Nissan Leaf is in for a health check today, dealer reported tyres are at 3.1mm on the fronts with 35,000 miles on them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom