Car tax (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've just has a reply from an email I sent
I won’t be replying to say thank you to your email, but please accept my thanks in advance – it is estimated that each person sending one less ‘thank you’ email a day saves at least 16,400 tonnes of carbon a year. This is the equivalent to taking 33,343 diesel cars off the road.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
A car tyre is scrap at 3mm, the point at which the reduced tread volume no longer allows them to tread the incompressible water. He is 1/10th of a mm from that at 35,000 miles so the answer is essentially 35,000 miles.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Garages seem to give plenty of advance warning of low tread (at MOT and service time), i follow their guidance.
Mind you, i dont drive like an eejit, especially in rain.
Isn't the legal limit much lower than 3mm?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Like @Drago said in the opening post:
"Road pricing has been proposed, but is expensive to implement with the millions of cameras, computers and satellite technology required, and the longer it is left the more it will cost and the less likely it will ever happen."

Why can’t it just be linked you your annual MOT certificate?
That accurately records the mileage done over a year. It would be fairly easy to implement along with the MOT.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Garages seem to give plenty of advance warning of low tread (at MOT and service time), i follow their guidance.

1.6mm across the central three-quarters of the tyre, according to RAC site.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds like my lad's Fabia. It's stripped out for track use, so actually doesn't get driven much. I can't get out of the passenger seat if I get in it (old broken back issues - OK on a bike), and mum and daughter can't actually get in the seat with female anatomy (bigger bottoms). Let's say, none of us take a ride in it.

It is very fast, very uncomfortable. It WAS a really nice car before he messed with it, lovely to drive, economic, etc. I'll stick to my bikes.

I take it he's had it 'caged', guy next door but one had a Fiesta so treated, full roll cage/no carpets/no rear seats/full 5 point racing seatbelts etc.
Scott's Subaru was nothing like that, it has a standard interior and looks normal (well as much as a 'scooby' does) it just goes like 5hit off a shiny shovel, the only clue to its potential is an enormous tailpipe at the back (it's old enough to be pre cat car) to look at it you'd just think 'Oh it's a Subaru' but the thing is a rocketship yet looks 'bog standard' but if you looked closely it has uprated brakes, silly tyres and uprated suspension units but no silly 'tuned by whomever' stickers on it

Alex321

Veteran
Why can’t it just be linked you your annual MOT certificate?
That accurately records the mileage done over a year. It would be fairly easy to implement along with the MOT.

Well it is also not that hard to fake.

And any pricing by miles needs to be more than just a crude measurement of total mile, it n eeds to take into account the type of miles, with city miles being much more expensive than rural miles, and motorway miles probably being the cheapest.

Alex321

Veteran

Yes, the legal limit is 1.6mm, but most experts recommend changing much earlier, with 3mm being the point at which wet weather braking really starts to fall away.

I wouldn't go as far as @Drago in saying they are "scrap" at 3mm, but certainly best not to take them down to the legal limit.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I spent a career scraping brains off the tarmac, sometimes literally (yes, actual grey matter), so ive seen the results of worn tyres first hand.

Water is incompressible, and as a tyre wesrs there is less volume remaining to accommodate that volume of water. At 3mm the volume remaining in the tread becomes insufficient to manage that, so is no safer in the wet than if it had 1mm remaining. In terms of performing a useful function, ie, performing in the wet in a manner intended by the manufacturer, they cease to be effective at that point. They have cease to function as an effective means of facilitating safe levels of braking, steering and handling in wet weather.

When something ceases to perform a useful function it is scrap, unless it has the ability to be repaired. Tyres cannot be repaired, so are therfore scrap.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I spent a career scraping brains off the tarmac, sometimes literally (yes, actual grey matter), so ive seen the results of worn tyres first hand.

Water is incompressible, and as a tyre wesrs there is less volume remaining to accommodate that volume of water. At 3mm the volume remaining in the tread becomes insufficient to manage that, so is no safer in the wet than if it had 1mm remaining. In terms of performing a useful function, ie, performing in the wet in a manner intended by the manufacturer, they cease to be effective at that point. They have cease to function as an effective means of facilitating safe levels of braking, steering and handling in wet weather.

Interesting, but not true.

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/vehicles/tyre-tread-depth.pdf

I fully agree (as do RoSPA in that document) that you should change your tyres at 3mm.

But the effectiveness at 3mm is still WAY more than at 1.6mm, never mind 1mm.

Gunk

Guru
Just popped up to Gilkes Garage Cafe in Kineton on my motorbike (got absolutely soaked) there was a Citroen BX owners meet, everything is a classic these days.

Top Bottom