Carb gel or jelly babies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gingerbreadman

What is the difference between a carb gel and a handful of jelly babies really? The latter makes me feel like a "sinner" because it is not "industry approved".

Am I just a victim of marketing?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
yes...

vickster

Legendary Member
Gels have the texture of snot, jelly babies taste good and you can bite their heads off :evil:

I favour haribo over bassetts, smaller, not as sweet and you don't end up with icing sugar all over your black Lycra shorts

And you get a big bag for the price of a single tube of snot!

Industry approved, are you a pro rider? Otherwise you are a victim of marketing bollocks

And if you do decide to waste your money on gels, take the bloody wrappers home with you or put in the nearest bin, don't just litter the countryside with them!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had a gel the other day. A freebie. It was, IMO, OK. Not like snot or wallpaper paste at all. Not as nice as Haribo Tangfastics, but not bad at all.

(And yes, @vickster I took the wrapper home with me :smile: )

martint235

Dog on a bike
Wine gums are better

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Really think this all this stuff about energy gels, isotonic drinks, recovery potions etc is just marketing bullsh*t. Had a whole wedge of energy gels given away to me during the summer. Fine if you like the taste of toothpaste!

Unless you're a pro rider don't really see the need; eat normally, and take stuff with you that you enjoy eating if you're gonna be riding for more than a couple of hours at a time.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I favour haribo over bassetts, smaller, not as sweet
But hariboids take forever to chew and then my jaw aches and I start to doubt whether I'm recovering the chewing energy... Any jelly babies are better.

Had a whole wedge of energy gels given away to me during the summer. Fine if you like the taste of toothpaste!
NSFW: Someone once described them as what he imagined it would taste like if you gave a tellytubby a BJ and I've never quite been able to shake that perfect summary from my mind. Not that I eat gels after... shall we say side-effects... well, more rear-effects. Not good. Back to the retro dextrose tablets for the times when jelly babies are just too slow!

Really think this all this stuff about energy gels, isotonic drinks, recovery potions etc is just marketing bullsh*t.
Isotonic drinks? You mean an Erdinger blue? :cheers:

poynedexter

i would use gels only when racing, because they are easy to eat, easy to get out of a pocket and they work. i'm usually breathing out my #@£e so cant be faffing about chewing stuff. on a 60 mile race i'll probably use 3 or 4 after the half way point. oh, and drink water.

on every other time i ride a bike i eat something like: buttered fruit loaf, toast n peanut butter, bananas. doesnt matter if its a training run, a social spin or sportive. oh, and drink water.

Top Bottom