Carbon bike in a bike stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
So, I have a fully carbon bike, with carbon seatpost... how exactly should I go about using my bikestand for cleaning etc? I am aware of issues with over tightening against the frame so don't want to do that, but don't really fancy destroying a seatpost either...

Answers on a postcard please

Drago

Legendary Member
Buy a carbon frame work stand.

midlife

Guru
This one looks pretty well balanced :smile:

bikeshelfie-dot-com.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
That looks like it is under the saddle rather than clamped around a carbon fibre seat post. I used one of thses when jet washing the bikes.

bylo_lobys_foot_311100.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd clamp the seatpost myself. They're designed to be clamped in the frame, so it's not like it won't take it. Just don't go mad doing the clamp up

Buy a cheap alloy seatpost specifically for the job.

This^ Although it's a bit of a faff.

You can clamp the seatpost but very carefully or get a stand which holds the bike at the bb and either the forks or rear wheel mounts.

They aren't cheap though;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/feedback-sp...|pcrid|67090793342|pkw||pmt||prd|5360259096uk

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/p...MI07Cn1pG01QIV7JPtCh0s8QCLEAQYDSABEgLlBfD_BwE

I may be getting the Park one sometime but I will get it at trade though:whistle::smile: (sorry).

screenman

Legendary Member
Odd thing is and I am trying it right now, holding the bike up by the nose of the saddle in one hand is easy, holding it by the seat post is less so. This even though I let it choose it's own angle of dangle.

Odd thing is and I am trying it right now, holding the bike up by the nose of the saddle in one hand is easy, holding it by the seat post is less so. This even though I let it choose it's own angle of dangle.
Yes, attempting to get it horizontal when clamping it on the seatpost is quite hard. Some of the cheaper stands won't do it properly and become wobbly. It is surprisingly hard. Unfortunately the easy angle also requires a high stand and even then the front wheel is close to the ground and interferes with the tripod.

I say clamp that sucker on the top tube. Crank it until it protests, then one turn back.

Top Bottom