Carbon crack with pictures - advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ellis

Guru
Hi all,

Looking for some advice - recently I dropped some gardening shears onto to the top tube of my bike. Is the crack going to make the bike at risk of failure or will it be ok to ride.

Let me know what you think or if there are any companies who deal with this type of issue.

Thanks

Attachments

• BD8E1C2D-CA2A-4DC8-8D14-0CC9AB23AFB0.jpeg
    BD8E1C2D-CA2A-4DC8-8D14-0CC9AB23AFB0.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 9DC3731A-D305-4878-9803-08AA68BEF21E.jpeg
    9DC3731A-D305-4878-9803-08AA68BEF21E.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 147

All uphill

Still rolling along
I wouldn't ride it.

BTW that is not a crack, it's a flipping great cut.

I believe there people who can make good professional repairs to cf.

OP
OP
E

ellis

Guru
Yeah thought as much to be fair. I’ll look at that carbon cycle repair first and take it from there.

Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If your shears made a gash like that just dropping them I would be getting a new frame.
The tube looks very thin and I would be wondering where else they may have skimped on materials and construction. Fork would be a major worry due to what might happen to you in the event of an accident or just through plain failure.

Jameshow

Veteran
If your shears made a gash like that just dropping them I would be getting a new frame.
The tube looks very thin and I would be wondering where else they may have skimped on materials and construction. Fork would be a major worry due to what might happen to you in the event of an accident or just through plain failure.

How can you ascertain the tube is thin?
All carbon bike tubes are thin.
Needs professional repair if not replacement.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can't, can only go by the pic which is poor but if a pair of sheers can do that to it that's a worry. Give it to Hambini I'm sure he'd give it a roasting. :smile:
Is it a major brand? Don't look like it.

Jameshow

Veteran
It's repairable, but I wouldn't ride it until repaired.

I've seen you're in Salford - Winder Boats in Keighley did an effective and well-priced repair on my Raleigh SP Race.

I've always found it funny that in the backstreets of Keighley far from the sea is a firm making race winning sailing dinghies!

Jameshow

Veteran
I can't, can only go by the pic which is poor but if a pair of sheers can do that to it that's a worry. Give it to Hambini I'm sure he'd give it a roasting. :smile:
Is it a major brand? Don't look like it.

It would have made a mess of a dB steel bike and as for a caad* aluminium fram don't ask!
*Other brands of alu frames are available!

Top Bottom