Carbon crack with pictures - advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good afternoon.
I did a repair on my bike over 10 years ago (not as pretty as the one this guy did, by a long way) and I'm still riding the bike. I'm not suggesting you do it yourself, like I did, but it does suggest your frame is fixable.
I haven't yet committed (https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/broken-carbon-and-i-feel-happy.292872/) my frame to the rubbish bin and whilst I can see how it could be possible to repair it structurally it is a lot harder to see how a nice looking repair could be done.

I don't think that I would ever feel confident in a repair as I don't really know that the person doing the repair would have been paid enough (by me) to have understood what the loads that the repair is required to absorb are.

In the linked to video the presenter talked about fishing rods, rather than downtubes at 40mph where a failure is likely to be either life changing or ending.

In the past I have seen lots of videos where repairs are done to parts of the frame where you could probably almost ride safely without the repairs. After all I have probably done between 100 and 200 miles with the downtube crack as it has neither failed totally nor does it make a sound when riding.

........ While I do prefer carbon overall as a cycle material, the most beautiful bikes are steel no question. How about this absolute dream:
https://officinabattaglin.com/products/custom-steel-bikes/portofino-r/
Wow, at 8,000 Euros it is so far out of my price range that I can drool lovingly at it without any dilemas over pressing the buy button or not.

Worried about that R, are we sure that it's not a rebadged Raleigh?:laugh:
1693064964181.png

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's also phenomenally expensive. Way beyond my meagre budget.

Yes, the frame only is a hefty amount for sure.

All relative though, if I had millions in the bank and a real passion, and a decent amount of ability, for cycling I'd get the beast for the sheer looks alone.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Yes, the frame only is a hefty amount for sure.

All relative though, if I had millions in the bank and a real passion, and a decent amount of ability, for cycling I'd get the beast for the sheer looks alone.

I definitely would get it if I had loads of spare cash, but I doubt I could do it justice on the road.

Good afternoon,

I got interested in the paint and found this classic "spell checker?" on a web site

For this first technique, you will absolutely need to have a paint gun to be able to carry out the colored varnishing.

This technique has the advantage of being able to be carried out on any type of bottom, even carbon, that is to say that you will be able to use your frame of bike stripped or painted with its old paint.

https://www.stardustcolors.co.uk/blog/cromovelato/

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
E

ellis

Guru
Thanks for the replies. I’ve looked into getting it repaired and from a couple of quotes would be roughly £300-£400 for repair.

Is there any legs in just buying a frame and taking all my drivetrain off the cracked bike (all ultegra) and having it rebuilt on a new frame?

I’ll be honest I’ve not really kept pace with bike and new bike tech over the past 18 months so not even sure if it’s possible to get a good quality affordable frame these days? I know it would be potentially be more money but who doesn’t want the new bike feeling! Haha!

Jameshow

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. I’ve looked into getting it repaired and from a couple of quotes would be roughly £300-£400 for repair.

Is there any legs in just buying a frame and taking all my drivetrain off the cracked bike (all ultegra) and having it rebuilt on a new frame?

I’ll be honest I’ve not really kept pace with bike and new bike tech over the past 18 months so not even sure if it’s possible to get a good quality affordable frame these days? I know it would be potentially be more money but who doesn’t want the new bike feeling! Haha!

Sure I brought a focus izalco race frame pre COVID for £250.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mate had his bike done , including a full strip and rebuild along with the cost of the repair it was £750.(£400 for the repair).
if you didn't know where it was fixed you wouldn't even guess it was broken

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a long shot, bust ask around among your friends. You never know. I know a guy needed a frame repair and put him in touch with another guy I know that makes F1 car chassis in CF for Red Bull. He was only too happy to help

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

I'd concur and would personally defintely write that frame off - don't trust placcy stuff at the best of times let alone after such a substantial impact.

Given the cost of repair I very much doubt it would be economically viable and your best bet would be to find a replacement (steel! :whistle: ) frame and swap the bits over.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

Is it rim or disk brakes, a new/lightly used frameset for the former will be rather cheaper than the latter. Ebay but also Yorkshire cycling sales among others on Facebook. Or buy a new used bike and sell the parts, if 11 speed Ultegra in good condition (or even 10 speed), should make a few bob back

Top Bottom