Carbon fibre chainstay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoneyForNothing

11C17A0C-B56E-4E50-A430-EA8B85852C69.jpeg

My cannondale synapse carbon has some rubbing on the chainstay that looks to be from where the tyre was rubbing.
I’m not sure it’s my 25 tyres but the previous owner, as they were running 28 wide tyres.
It looks superficial and not deep, just past the paint, but I’m curious to know how to protect it (nail varnish?) and is it worth moving to a stiffer wheel to overcome future paranoia?
I’ve put some white maker pen in it to see if it does flex enough to run that paint off.

si_c

Guru
I'd put some clear nail varnish on it, assuming there is no damage to the carbon layer should be fine.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As long as the carbon's not damaged either enamel paint (I use Humbrol) or nail varnish. I've found enamel paint a bit sticker and harder to use but gives better protection.

OP
OP
M

MoneyForNothing

put some black electrical tape on it and went for 70 mile ride. Once back there's some slight scuffing on the tape, unsure if its muck but if that's the case then my 25c on askium wheels are flexing.

I'm 14st7lb but seeing as the wheels are, I guess, 5 years old I fancy changing them as the nipples are 'crusty' looking.

It's like hens teeth on wheels, I wanted Hunt aero but I can't wait 8 weeks for a set.

Any ideas on sub £500 wheels, I can get some Mavic Ksyrium S 2021 but I'm not expert but I really want to eliminate any lateral flexing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I’m not sure it’s my 25 tyres but the previous owner, as they were running 28 wide tyres.
It's not your wheel that rubbed the chainstay. Check how wide the tyre actually is, with the pressure you'd normally run. Also check that the wheel is equidistant between the two chainstays.
Then consider running 23s (or 25s that come up on spec (eg 5000s)).

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's not your wheel that rubbed the chainstay. Check how wide the tyre actually is, with the pressure you'd normally run. Also check that the wheel is equidistant between the two chainstays.
Then consider running 23s (or 25s that come up on spec (eg 5000s)).
^^This^^

The fashion now is for wider tyres, but a lot of older frames were built when 23mm was the standard.

OP
OP
M

MoneyForNothing

I think it’s a 2015/16 frame running 25’s but they are the original rims. it’s slightly out of true but within a mm or 2. I inflate to 90-100 psi.

Top Bottom