Carbon Fibre Definitions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
I understand that HM is an abbreviation of High Modulus, but what are these acronyms that bike manufacturers use when specifying Carbon Fibre?

Such as:

HM Carbon ACR

HM Carbon MIMS AFT

Toray

etc...

Kies

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Such as:

HM Carbon ACR

HM Carbon MIMS AFT

Toray

etc...

Today refers to carbon fibre manufactured by Toray Industries who are Japans largest manufacturer of carbon fibre composites. They do not use the same quality/strength rating as the rest of the industry and use their own ratings. Cycle manufacturers such as Pinerello typically use the name/term to suggest a higher quality composite which is not the case.

As stated by @tincaman the others refer also to manufacturers of composites.

One of the biggest things which determine composite characteristics is the resin and curing process, but these lack the power of brand names for marketing men.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
So, basically, it's jargon that no-one is going to understand fully and you don't really know what you're buying in terms of quality?

I am just curious as to what is what when it comes to CF. I know a little more about Aluminium, for instance, 6061-0 has a lower tensile strength than 6061-T4 or T6 (my old Carrera TDF is a 6061-T6 Merida frame), but CF is a bit of a mystery to me.

Just found this, which is an interesting read:

Are all Carbon bikes created equal?

Last edited:
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
That was an enjoyable and informative read @Mr Haematocrit

I'd kept seeing various brand names with their own, unique 'design' of carbon bikes/frames (Specialized's FACT IS, Cannondale's BallisTec etc) and just wondered how and where the industry standard was. If I buy an aluminium frame from a reputable manufacturer, Giant, say, I know that varying factors, such as the cost of the bike and the manufacturers reputation and credibility packs a lot of punch. I'd assume that the grade of aluminium they source is 'good stuff'. I can look at the specs of the bike and, if it's stated, find out the grade/quality of aluminum they are using (in most cases) and that will help decide my purchase. Just in the same way as I'd rather buy a Bosch washing machine than an Argos 'in house' brand.

It seems that carbon is a mythical material in many ways (although it's been around for a long time, and used in bike manufacture for longer than most people perceive). The reason for my questioning, and what first led me to look into carbon manufacture, is that I bought a Ghost aluminium road bike in 2011. The fork is full carbon (steerer and fork) but I didn't know this until I disassembled the bike for maintenance a few months after purchase, and then still wasn't 100% sure. The specification sheet for the bike stated only that the fork was 'CG Carbon'. Was it a full carbon fork or carbon fork/alloy steerer? I looked on the net, but couldn't find any information on 'CG Carbon'. So, this led me to wanting some kind of verification. I recently found out that 'CG Carbon' is Ghost's 'own brand' fork :smile: It could be the best part of the bike, just as much as it could be the worst part.

Last edited:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The problem with carbon is material ratings have little relationship to the bikes characteristics as the layup, epoxy used and frame shape all impact the final outcome.. A traditional material has by comparison typically has less complex shapes. I think this is why cycle manufacturers only rate carbon bikes specifically against other bikes in their range.

If your interested in understanding carbon the best thing you can do IMHO is to either attend a composite course, or have a bash at making your own components. The following URL can help with both.

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk

Top Bottom