Carbon Fibre Fail ?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Damaged Hero, 28 Apr 2010.

1. Damaged Hero

Damaged Hero Senior Member

I have a Specialized Sectuer Comp,not had the bike for long,with just over 200 miles traveled on it so far.I have noticed something on the bike which has me a little worried.

The seatstay is Carbon,I have noticed that on the inside of the frame just below where the fitting for the rear brake is, a small white mark can be seen.Is this something to get checked out or am i being paranoid ?

[​IMG]

2. beatleandrew

beatleandrew New Member

I wouldn't be too worried, it doesn't look like damage. Start to worry if you see a crack.

3. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

just superficial marks made by grit thrown up from the tyres. Nothing to worry about.

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

You should see the underside of my rear brake bridge, scored to buggery by stones getting run through on the tyre. Yours will be the same and nothing to worry about, there tends to be a bit of paranoia about carbon because of the doom mongers telling everyone how it is always one scratch away from total disintegration.

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Yeh, your tyres are flat topped....you'll be off.........

PS I assume you don't have any carbon soled bike shoes...see how they get chipped/scuffed/knackered.... does it cause them to fall to bits.....nope....

Get some car polish on it and take out the marks......

6. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Are you sure it's not paint overspray? Is there any white on the bike? Scrape it gently and see if it comes off.

7. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

great photo!

8. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Wait a minute.... I've just looked at that photo again.... why is there an equivalent area of similar white splatter on the tyre? It looks like talc or paint, or have you been decorating near the bike? It could be dust from rubbing down Polyfilla.

9. OP
    OP
    Damaged Hero

Damaged Hero Senior Member

Tried to scrape it off but nothing happens,As long as its not a weakness in the frame i don't mind.Thanks for all the replies,I can stop worrying about it now.

10. mr Mag00

mr Mag00 rising member

looks like no damage even to the laquer. i have scratches on my mtb from the brakes which spun around the bars when i took a side ways slide. nowt to worry about there

11. Maggot

Maggot Guest

Has it been exposed to the air? Thats what does carbon fibre in apparantly;)

12. mr Mag00

mr Mag00 rising member

13. Kestevan

Kestevan Last of the Summer Winos

No, No, No,

It's looking at it sideways what does the damage - Quantum interference init.

14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I thought it was squirrels that caused the damage :rofl:

15. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

I think you are all wrong. The white powder is clearly evidence of an infestation of Fibrus Graphitus....carbon fibre worm to you oiks. They burrow into the carbon by eating it, and of course the powder is what comes out of the rear of the worm.

To save you hassle, I will give you £3.50 for your bike, you pay the postage....ok?:rofl:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice