Carbon Fibre Fail ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Damaged Hero

Veteran
I have a Specialized Sectuer Comp,not had the bike for long,with just over 200 miles traveled on it so far.I have noticed something on the bike which has me a little worried.

The seatstay is Carbon,I have noticed that on the inside of the frame just below where the fitting for the rear brake is, a small white mark can be seen.Is this something to get checked out or am i being paranoid ?

seatstay2000x1500.jpg

beatleandrew

I wouldn't be too worried, it doesn't look like damage. Start to worry if you see a crack.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You should see the underside of my rear brake bridge, scored to buggery by stones getting run through on the tyre. Yours will be the same and nothing to worry about, there tends to be a bit of paranoia about carbon because of the doom mongers telling everyone how it is always one scratch away from total disintegration.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yeh, your tyres are flat topped....you'll be off.........

PS I assume you don't have any carbon soled bike shoes...see how they get chipped/scuffed/knackered.... does it cause them to fall to bits.....nope....

Get some car polish on it and take out the marks......

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are you sure it's not paint overspray? Is there any white on the bike? Scrape it gently and see if it comes off.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wait a minute.... I've just looked at that photo again.... why is there an equivalent area of similar white splatter on the tyre? It looks like talc or paint, or have you been decorating near the bike? It could be dust from rubbing down Polyfilla.

OP
OP
Damaged Hero

Damaged Hero

Veteran
Tried to scrape it off but nothing happens,As long as its not a weakness in the frame i don't mind.Thanks for all the replies,I can stop worrying about it now.

mr Mag00

rising member
looks like no damage even to the laquer. i have scratches on my mtb from the brakes which spun around the bars when i took a side ways slide. nowt to worry about there

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I think you are all wrong. The white powder is clearly evidence of an infestation of Fibrus Graphitus....carbon fibre worm to you oiks. They burrow into the carbon by eating it, and of course the powder is what comes out of the rear of the worm.

To save you hassle, I will give you £3.50 for your bike, you pay the postage....ok?:rofl:

Grasen

what I don't understand is why do people buy carbon fibre bikes and then worry about them all the time? If you are so scared of carbon fibre - don't buy it.

Top Bottom