Carbon fibre frame and forks bike weighing 12 kilos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Steel gets lighter with age too.

Rust weighs nothing.
Steel gets heavier as it rusts (assuming none of the rust drops off), as it is combining with oxygen from the atmosphere.

Maybe you never did the chemistry experiment at school where you accurately weigh some magnesium ribbon, then combust it and weigh it again.

Steel gets heavier as it rusts (assuming none of the rust drops off), as it is combining with oxygen from the atmosphere.

Maybe you never did the chemistry experiment at school where you accurately weigh some magnesium ribbon, then combust it and weigh it again.

:notworthy: we weren't allowed to burn anything at school after the gymnasium went up

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
or from the 1000 posts you've made about it.

ie I am sure you remember correctly!
Haven't Made any lately, but you have reminded me to!
No seriously, I weighed so many permutations of differerent set ups I've lost track! I think with tools pump lights bottles etc etc it was more like 10.5kg.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Haven't Made any lately, but you have reminded me to!
No seriously, I weighed so many permutations of differerent set ups I've lost track! I think with tools pump lights bottles etc etc it was more like 10.5kg.
Actually just weighed it again 9.5kg with bottle, tools, cruds.............

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's nothing particularly wrong with this bike as it is. You will see many bikes just like it in the lower end of many manufacturers' product ranges. It's quite likely that whichever factory is producing this bike for SD is also producing similar models in different colours or with different decals for a load of other vendors.

I've picked up a few tips about groupsets and their prices from posting on CC so i'll stick my neck out and say that bike is falsely priced too high at £1499.99. Maybe it's worth a grand but not 1500 quid! If i remember rightly you could get a Cube Agree with Tiagra for just over a thousand pounds, reduced to £750 before they sold out.

Last edited:

Citius

I've picked up a few tips about groupsets and their prices from posting on CC so i'll stick my neck out and say that bike is falsely priced too high at £1499.99

It's priced at £750, which is probably about right. I doubt if it has ever actually been on sale for £1500, knowing how Sports Direct works....

Racheluk

Regular
Seems pretty heavy, but again I wouldn't trust much when it comes to prices/spec when it comes to Sports Direct.. I've had some good cheap tops from them, and some of their cycling shoes might be occasionally cheap (Shimano, Northwave etc) but I'd avoid them for bike gear.. never seen any reviews of their Muddy Fox shoes, but imagine you'd be better with dhb/planet x etc

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
You've had that bike for over a year if i'm right Justin. How do you rate it.Would you buy the same bike again?
It was my first road bike coming from an old mtb, so with that in mind I couldn't justify spending a fortune of the family income on a bike, it just was not an option.
I saw the Ventura somewhere on a forum when it was £800 and discounted it as too expensive, so when it dropped to £400 I became interested. I looked at the specs and reckoned it was a good deal at that price over similarly priced bottom end major manufacturer bikes - it could actually be half decent.
Yeah it's not the lightest carbon around but the price reflected that, it had good basic components - Sora, Ritchie finishing kit, jag wire cables, R501 wheelset etc so I knew it couldn't be too bad.
Overall very pleased, I ride in solo and in groups and in no way has this bike held me back, no complaints at all.
I've upgraded parts over the seventeen months such as wheelset (although the R501's are back on as winter wheels) BB, crank.
I did hanker after a better/nicer bike but now I'm doing TT's more seriously I see the Ventura more as a training tool for "base miles" rides, and for that it's perfect :okay:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ventura-cp-50-argos.162736/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Nonsense. The release of the phlogiston will make it lighter. I remember it well from my natural philosophy studies.

Top Bottom