Carbon Fibre Frame Paint Chip from Stuck chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Araldite won't hurt the frame and if you have the time, I think it would be a good idea as it would fill the gouge nicely if you applied it in warm conditions to allow it to flow and settle into the gouge. You could then touch up with model paint or nail varnish, any brand. When I went into Boots with a small flake of red frame paint stuck to some tape the assistant made it quite obvious she didn't believe my story and thought I was a tranny looking for some nail varnish; she went into full "diversity trained" extra-sensitive mode and kindly helped me choose a shade then almost blurted out: "This looks close, this will really suit y....."

Alterntively fill the gouge with Plastic Padding and touch up the colour.

Globalti

Legendary Member
In fact I've just remembered that in the interim phase between going off and setting really hard, Araldite is quite easy to cut with a sharp knife so I would fill the gouges then shave the repair flat with a window scraper fitted with a new Standley knife blade. Then paint.

OP
OP
T

taksdd

Globalti do you suggest I should use the standard Araldite? I have the rapid one which sets in 5 minutes and full strengh is achieved after 2 hours

S-Express

Globalti do you suggest I should use the standard Araldite? I have the rapid one which sets in 5 minutes and full strengh is achieved after 2 hours

Can't believe you are still agonising over this. Just paint over it (or not) and ride it. Life's too short to worry about what kind of araldite to use on a paint scratch, ffs.

Lee_M

Guru
if I touched up my CF bike everytime it got a scratch I'd never ride the blooming thing.

Just go ride it, no one will notice, and it won't melt in the rain either

Goggs

Guru
After reading this thread I'm never getting a carbon fibre bike.

Which is handy because I'll never be able to afford one.

Top Bottom