Carbon Fibre Frames and Forks..Shelf life.?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
I have just bought a old (2007) Orbea Orca the spec is impressive someone has spent a fortune on this bike in the past, its in great nick too.

But a friend of mine who is on here and rides a Giant seems to think it is a foolish move to buy an old carbon framed bike, the wheels alone are worth more than what I paid for it.

So my question is does carbon degrade over time.?

No.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes. UV exposure is the biggie, affects many of the compounds used in the resin. However, the degree to which such influences affect the frame is impossible to predict. Could be fine for decades, or fail tomorrow. If its been cared for I wouldn't be unduly concerned myself.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just googled out of curiosity. Tesla use a special paint finish to protect the polymers from UV degradation, so it seems carbon manufacturers take steps to counter the issue. If it ain't been crashed or stored outdoors in Arizona I'd be happy enough to ride it.

OP
OP
Billy Wizz

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Just googled out of curiosity. Tesla use a special paint finish to protect the polymers from UV degradation, so it seems carbon manufacturers take steps to counter the issue. If it ain't been crashed or stored outdoors in Arizona I'd be happy enough to ride it.
When you mention UV degradation I immediately thought of the bike in my freezing cold shed in the winter, do cold conditions effect carbon.
I was so happy with my purchase the other day now I am sceptical about carbon. Or maybe its paranoia.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They dont like water though

She was made of carbon y'know

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Yeah it's a well known fact that carbon fibre is water soluble and has a half life of about 20 minutes.
That's why Boeing make jumbo jets out of it,

On a more serious note, the problem with second hand carbon bikes is that unlike more traditional materials it can be difficult to see if there has been crash damage. An alloy or steel frame will show dents easily whereas CF may look fine on the outside, but be seriously compromised internally.

Assuming you trust the seller, and there's no other indication of a smash then it should be fine.

Stu Smith

Veteran
On a more serious note, the problem with second hand carbon bikes is that unlike more traditional materials it can be difficult to see if there has been crash damage. An alloy or steel frame will show dents easily whereas CF may look fine on the outside, but be seriously compromised internally

OP now most definitely paranoid.

This is actually quite interesting, I crashed a titanium bike [head on] with carbon forks many moons ago, the force put a crease in the titanium down tube just below the head tube, the front wheel [non carbon] was fine and the carbon forks appeared untouched. I wasn't convinced and took the forks to a friend who worked in the engineering department of Cambridge University. He x-rayed them using a special dye and it showed both forks cracked in several places. Needless to say I binned them.

Top Bottom