1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbon fibre RIP?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Yellow Fang, 20 Feb 2008.

1. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

I was talking to some chap at a British Computer Society meeting today, as you do. He said there was a company developing a very energy efficient car made of a newly developed plastic with the same strength as titanium but lighter. Does anyone know what this plastic is? He said it wasn't carbon fibre.

2. Hover Fly

Hover Fly Lover of the bunny

Carbon nanotubes?

3. Noodley

Noodley Guest

I'd lay odds on it being related to alphabetti spaghetti.

4. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

No. That's floppy.

5. Noodley

Noodley Guest

obviously. Not actually alphabetti spaghetti but related to alphabetti spaghetti. Sheesh. :smile:

6. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

It's most probably some sort of layering of clay nanosheets and a water-soluble polymer.

7. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Sorry. I know all Scots are engineers. I should have known better.

*crawls off in search of a large helping of untechnical English humble pie*

8. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

I thought of UHMWPE until you said new, so I have no idea. I know in various motor racing cars that Zylon is used?

9. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Zylon? You've made that up!

10. rikki

rikki Veteran

I don't think you can make it up at home.

11. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Kitchen chemistry is the future of technology.

12. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Discuss! :smile:

13. rikki

rikki Veteran

Please post instructions on how to brew your own carbon fibre and knit it into something useful. Knitting patterns for track frames, hockey sticks, and oars would be appreciated.

14. red_tom

red_tom New Member

Do you remeber Starlite? Hairdresser in shed produces heat proof paint that NASA wanted to get hold of.

15. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

As every skoolboy noes, crystallised blotch is the most underrated building material. This is blotting paper (remember that?) soaked in model aircraft glue (remember that as well?) and allowed to dry. You can't easily buy either of them now - althought the glue is still available for joining plastic plumbing pipes.