Carbon fibre seatpost.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cannondale boy

Über Member
I've been thinking for a while on getting a cb seatpost and if its all worth the money and the benefits i will get from it. I know it will be lighter but not by much maybe between 50-100 grams at a push. Will it dampen out the shocks from the road say going over a pot hole.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
No.

Carbon fibre is said to reduce 'road buzz' which are the high frequency vibrations caused by high pressure, low volume tyres running on normal road surfaces.

There is no 'give' in them that would help with potholes. The only influence on them is tyre size and pressure.

kyuss

Veteran
I've had a few cheap carbon posts over the years, the most recent one started making alarming creaking noises so I replaced it with a cheap alu one I had lying around. I may one day replace it again with another carbon one but to be honest I've not noticed much difference in comfort at all so I'm in no hurry to spend the cash.

I also run a Thomson alu post on the good bike, just because they are beautifully made, seriously tough and very light. I'd bet it's just as light as similarly priced carbon posts. Don't assume because it's carbon it'll be featherweight, especially at the budget end of the scale.

Exactly.

I know it will be lighter

It will only be lighter if you weigh it on your scales and it weighs less...

There are many 'carbon' seatposts, handlebars, stems, etc which are not carbon-fibre but are carbon-wrap, i.e. a thin skin of carbon-fibre over aluminium.

Done for the right reasons, these have the benefits of both materials - light weight, stiff but vibration-damping, sexy shapes.

But often they're just for cosmetic, vanity, bling reasons and you have a carbon veneer over a heaviweight alu tube...

OP
OP
cannondale boy

cannondale boy

Über Member
I think i'll be sticking to aluminium then. Not going to fork out a hundred quid on something thats not going to benefit my comfort! I think i'll spend it on some lights instead this coming winter. ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
I run a Spesh Pave CF seatpost and its supposed to be more forgiving (zert inserts) going over surfaces like potholes.

+1 I have found it to be much more comfortable on rough road surfaces i.e. sets (cobbles)...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've got a carbon post in my titanium MTB frame and it's excellent, it flexes noticeably and I'm sure it gives me a smoother ride.

On the other hand I once had an ali Control Tech seatpost, which bent.

HLaB said:
I run a Spesh Pave CF seatpost and its supposed to be more forgiving (zert inserts) going over surfaces like potholes.

I got this as a birthday present, i.e. I didn't pay for it! However, I must admit I haven't noticed any different. My bum is probably not refined enough! :blush:

Chrisz

Über Member
I have found that my CF seatpin has a certain amount of flex to it - offering a much softer, more comfortable ride. It certainly absorbs a lot of road noise (I can see my bottle cage + empty bottle shaking around sometimes but feel nothing through my butt).

Blue

Legendary Member
Bigtwin said:
If you like the look of it, go for it. That'll be the only difference you notice.

I don't agree.

I noticed an immediate improvement when I fitted a CF seatpost.

However, I think that potholes should be avoided rather than expecting a seatpost to help much!!

Top Bottom