Carbon Fibre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My bikes to date have been aluminium and Cromo, but my recent bike purchase has a carbon fibre seatpost.

Historically when tightening nuts and bolts, I tighten them until I meet resistance and then turn the bolt half a turn more. This has worked well.

Will this work with CF seatpost or do I need to amend my method. How fragile is CF when tighening bolts?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not terribly IME. As long as you don't tighten it with all your strength you should be OK.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have a carbon seat post on my MTB for the last 10 years and I don't treat it with any repect at all and it has no sign of damage just don't over tighten it

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Tighten as normal. Believe me, if you have ever undone a bolt tightened to 5nm (which is recommended on most cf seatposts) with a standard Allen key you will know how tight it clamps at that figure.

The important thing is to make sure the edge of the tube and it's clamping slot are free of burrs which may cut through the lacquer.

2Loose

Guru
Wise to use a bit of fibre grip or similar on the post if you can, helps prevent post seizure and let's you get away with less bolt torque apparently.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
+1 for the fibre grip paste, it will stop the post from slipping or seizing...

Top Bottom