Carbon Frame and Clear Coat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there

my Trek is 9 years old now and where my sweat runs down off my face, the top cross bar near the back of the frame, the salt in it has corroded the clear coat under the frame where its all starting to peel off,where its collected over the years.

I have contacted Trek and they say its a common problem, I wondered if anyone on here has had any similar exerprience.

I am tempted to lightly re spray the area with Halford Acrylic Clear Coat, but anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

thanks folks

Kevin

02GF74

Über Member
did Trek suggest what you can do about it?

clear coat sounds good but you obviously want to know if it will react with the carbon fibre.

you could mask of a 10 p sized area of tube and spray it on and see what happens?

Coco

I've used Hlfords paint on Carbon fibre lots of times (not on bikes though). Won't react with the fibre or epoxy. Might be tricky to get a good smooth coat on it though.

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
Thanks for the replies guys.
The guy at trek was very helpful, he explained what had happened, and I could see whay he was getting at, and he said that they tell people to use clear nail varnish over the affected areas.

But I think I am going to give the clear coat a try on a small spot and see how it goes

cheers fellas

Kev

briank

My Trek's even older and one or two places I've got right through the white paint (it's the red white and blue US Postal version) but I've touched it up with white acrylic. Seems to work - and do no harm!

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
briank said:
My Trek's even older and one or two places I've got right through the white paint (it's the red white and blue US Postal version) but I've touched it up with white acrylic. Seems to work - and do no harm!

Magic cheers !:bravo:

Top Bottom