Carbon frame assessment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
After my crash on Friday, although my bike looks OK, I would like to have it professionally assessed for hidden damage before I ride it again. It will be a fair few weeks before I'm able to ride it due to smashed wrist, but ideally would like itr checking and if necessary repairing before I'm fit to ride.

Does anybody here have any recommendations?

OP
OP
A

Alex321

Veteran
Yeah, I saw that video a few months ago, so I know they are repairable. Just not sure where the best place to go would be.

There don't appear to be any local to me in South Wales, though Cyclopedia in Cardiff will send it off to one for you.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't think there is any miracle inspection for carbon frames that will assure integrity.
The best you can do is thoroughly inspect for surface damage that may indicate a point of impact or a stress deflection that has exceeded the natural elasticity of the material.
Other than that tap the frame lightly with something none damaging like a small screwdriver handle and listen to make sure you get a clean 'knock' and don't find any dull patches. Also remove the wheels and give the dropouts a bit of a squeeze/pull to make sure the frame doesn't bend/flex in any unusual places around the fork blades/crown or the stays of the rear triangle.
If all that is ok then you are good to go. If you do find anything unusual then maybe that is the time to think about sending for repair.

Even if you find nothing wrong it may take a few rides for you to stop worrying.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Depends on the nature of the crash - if you have just slid/skidded e.g loosing the back wheel or if you have hit something and how you have hit it and how hard the impact. A slide will be unlikely to damage the frame whereas an impact may well damage it. Carbon fibre does not satnd up well to a sideways impact across the tubes eg falling onto a sharp rock. If yuor impact was head on th forks may be compromised. Especially if they are the type wich are alu steerer and carbon legs as these are just bonded on. Only someone with access to ultrasound equipment would be able to identify any damage. This company has a good record: https://www.targetcomposites.co.uk/damage-inspection
You'd also need to check out other cf items on the bike eg seatpost, handlebars

One of mine was x-rayed for damage. The broken bit was obvious as it was,,,,,, broken but having the whole area scanned proved the rest was OK.

The frame i broke 2wks back has cracks in the paint but I’m not even going to bother having it scanned as i know the carbon beneath will be cracked.

Scanning or X-ray is the way to do It. Take it to your vets and for £100 you may have your answer, assuming the vet can interpret the results:laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom