Carbon frame bike, 105/equiv minimum spec

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pkeenan

Über Member
Last time I was in the market for a bike, the people of this forum were extremely helpful, and pointed out lots of makes and such (one of which was the one I ended up with!). I need peoples' opinions and wider knowledge once more...

I'm looking to upgrade my road racer (currently on a Specialized Allez 2010, Sora). I would like to go down the carbon frame route - which is becoming increasingly more affordable. My budget is circa £1500, and very possibly can be stretched for the right bike.

I would be grateful for peoples' thoughts and opinions on various models that fit this. Value for money is obviously a starting point. The bikes I've looked at so far are various Pinarello bikes in clearance (I *love* Pinas...!) and the Boardman Team Carbon and the Trek Madone 3.1.
There are other bikes that I've found, though have had bad feedback about. For example, Ribble have their Bike Builder thing, which I specced up to an impressive price (the Ribble New Sportive Carbon Road Frame). But then I looked it up, to find someone's frame cracked within 3 days of getting the bike....! I know these things are rare (and severely unlucky), but it doesn't inspire confidence!

So within the criteria, I'm also looking at the quality of the carbon build. This is where research gets tricky, and it would be great to hear various thoughts and experiences.

I would also consider buying all components separately, building it myself (or getting my LBS to do it!) - so any thoughts on framesets would also be welcome.

Spiky Simon

Regular
(I *love* Pinas...!) .

I think if you love Pinarellos you should probably just get one of them, if you can afford one and find one that fits :smile: You'll ride it more if you love it and if you don't buy one you may end up thinking "what if?"

there's a lot of choice at that kind of budget as I'm sure you're already aware :smile: For what it's worth, if it were my money at around 1.5k I'd probably want to take a look at Mekk 3G Potenza (http://www.mekkbicycles.com/Potenza-SL-5.0-105.aspx). Rose bikes also do some very tasty and good value carbon models, though you won't be able to test ride them as they're mail order from germany (e.g: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-carbon-pro-sl-2000-compact-532213/aid:532215)

OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
I think if you love Pinarellos you should probably just get one of them, if you can afford one and find one that fits :smile: You'll ride it more if you love it and if you don't buy one you may end up thinking "what if?"

Yes - I think you're right! There's no rush to get it as soon as possible, so I may save that bit more to increase the affordable Pina range. I just become very aware that the Mekk you linked me to, and other bikes like the Boardman Team Carbon, are pretty good bikes, and are much cheaper than the Pina - for example.

Putting it into perspective, The Boardman Team Carbon is priced at £1299.99, and with the British Cycling Halfords discount, I could get that bike for £1169.92 - which is a price not to be sniffed at!

@martint235 - Just been looking 'em up - thanks!

Are there any Pinarello riders out there who could talk a bit about their bikes? Seem to have found plenty of online info about other bikes.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Are there any Pinarello riders out there who could talk a bit about their bikes? Seem to have found plenty of online info about other bikes.
Not a lot of help but I always wanted a Pinarello Dogma until I discovered the joy that is titanium.

OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
@billy1561 - Hadn't looked at Cube, no. Wow - yes, just found what you were talking about! Thanks!

Spiky Simon

Regular
Yes - I think you're right! There's no rush to get it as soon as possible, so I may save that bit more to increase the affordable Pina range. I just become very aware that the Mekk you linked me to, and other bikes like the Boardman Team Carbon, are pretty good bikes, and are much cheaper than the Pina - for example.

Putting it into perspective, The Boardman Team Carbon is priced at £1299.99, and with the British Cycling Halfords discount, I could get that bike for £1169.92 - which is a price not to be sniffed at!

Yep, but you can't really put a price on that grin factor! If you really love Pinarellos and they fit in your budget, then I think you should buy one.

Having said that, I'm sure you'd be pretty happy with any of the bikes mentioned in the thread so far :smile:

avsd

Guru
Slightly overbudget but well specified bike with good wheels. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/btwin-facet-5-id_8203212.html

Nearer budget is this ROSE bike http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-xeon-rs-3000-triple/aid:592998

but I tend to agree with Spiky's comment "if you love Pinarellos you should probably just get one of them". There will be sales coming up in the autumn for the 2012 modesl.

billy1561

BB wrecker
@billy1561 - Hadn't looked at Cube, no. Wow - yes, just found what you were talking about! Thanks!
I'm very pleased with mine, but as others have said if your heart is set on one in particular then you will always have a nagging doubt if you don't get it. At that price point you won't go far wrong though so its just about trying them out for fit and comfort.

OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
I'm very pleased with mine, but as others have said if your heart is set on one in particular then you will always have a nagging doubt if you don't get it. At that price point you won't go far wrong though so its just about trying them out for fit and comfort.

This is very true. I think a few test rides are in order - methinks! It's (typically) the really high-range Pinarellos that I crave... The lower end ones are good looking, though so are some of these other bikes we've been talking about. However, as @avsd said, there will no doubt be sales at some point in the coming months.

FWIW all cf frames in your price range will be of a similar quality.

I'll bear that in mind. Thanks!

Or here's an idea. Sack the carbon, (it's over rated and not necessary IMO), and get a Cannondale CAAD10. The very best alu frame money can buy.

Your budget would get you the 105 model. A truly superb bike that screams to be ridden.

I do admit to being biased as I own a CAAD10 DA, but I've also owned two cf road bikes so I have some good experience to compare cf and alu frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom