Carbon frame found on eBay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skyman

Hi,
I'm new to the cycling world and havn't riden many road bikes, but I took a ride on my friends' bike and loved it! I've decided that I want to build my own road bike, but before starting I just wanted some advice on this particular frame I found on eBay.
I think its a bit cheap for a full carbon frame, so I wanted to check to see if there's anything wrong with it that im missing.
Any advice on building my bike would be greatly appreciated, I dont know my way around a bike that well, but im willing to learn!

Heres the frame I found:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....Category=98084&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=1

Will1985

Über Member
It's tiny! A 50cm top tube is for people under about 5'5". Is that you?

Main point is to be aware you may get stung later for import duty. Can't comment on the frame - I would, but some people might say that unbranded Far Eastern frames should be avoided...weak argument.

When building it, you will have to be very careful about fitting the headset and tightening the front mech band - you don't want to crack the carbon.

montage

God Almighty
If building your own bike, I would recommend buying an old steel racer (these are still light!) frame and cheaper components for the first time round. You will still have a beautiful bike, but will be totally clued up on bikes ready for when you build your dream bike :biggrin:

Ademort

Before buying this frame please remember that you will probably be subject to import duties and VAT charges so it will be considerably more expensive than the 360.00 US Dollars that you pay for it.As for the frame itself, it looks ok and if it fits you then why not buy it. But,does it have to be a carbon frame, there are plenty of lightweight Aluminium frames to be had for a good price on ebay.Good luck with your bikebuild.
Ademort

kyuss

Veteran
I'd agree with Ademort. Once you add shipping, import duty, tax and handling charges that frame is closer to £350-£400. For only another £50 you can get a Ribble Nero Corsa carbon frame (albeit without a fork) that has the benefit of not only being a well regarded frame with loads of user reviews around, but should anything go wrong it's easy to send back under warranty.

Also £350 will buy you a quality aluminium frame. Even a Scandium frame from Ribble is only £261 and is lighter than that cheap carbon one. With another £100 on a nice carbon fork you'd have a great bike with the piece of mind that comes with a UK guarantee.

RedBike

Just because it's made out of carbon doesn't mean it's any good. Cheaper carbon frames are still heavier and often less comfortable than a top end aluminium ones.
The very cheap carbpnj frames aren't far off being aluminium wrapped in a layer of carbon.

If you want to save weight go for a high end aluminium frame
If you want comfort go for a good quality steel frame

If you want both comfort and lightness then get ready to open that wallet wide and pay for a good quality carbon frame.

The one you've linked to on ebay might be a quality carbon frame. Then again it might be a pile of junk. It aint mega light at 1140g. It looks like there's loads of material around the head tube/bottom bracket so I would expect the frame to be very stiff rather than providing a soft ride.

ASC1951

Guru
Ademort said:
Before buying this frame please remember that you will probably be subject to import duties and VAT charges
I bought a full Ti frame from XACD in China and HMRC just waved it straight through - it was covered in stickers in Chinese and had a declared value of £100. [Their idea, not mine, and the Fees Office told me it was within the rules. ;)]

I think your chances of being whacked for duty are small.

I see that this seller has lots of positive feedback on Ebay for his frames. Why don't you email a couple of the buyers and see what they say?

OP
OP
S

skyman

All of your responses have been really helpful, thank you. I'll probably take another good look again next week once my dreaded AS level exams are over! That Ribble does look sweet, I think I should take another look at my choices. I shall be back in roughly a weeks time ;)

racingaway

carbon frames give a far better ride than any other material. Most of the "big name" frames you see most likely come out of the same factory as the one pictured on ebay, its just the manufacturers own brand of frame, nothing wrong with it and probably gives a good ride but you will be stung for import tax.

Ademort

ASC1951 said:
I bought a full Ti frame from XACD in China and HMRC just waved it straight through - it was covered in stickers in Chinese and had a declared value of £100. [Their idea, not mine, and the Fees Office told me it was within the rules. :whistle:]

I think your chances of being whacked for duty are small.

I see that this seller has lots of positive feedback on Ebay for his frames. Why don't you email a couple of the buyers and see what they say?
Sounds like a good idea, but remember if the parcel is lost or damaged the maximum that you will be able to claim for is 100quid. You were lucky that you got away with it this time. I think that you took a big risk especially that it was a TI Frame, probably quit expensive.Some companys also mark the parcels as gifts as a way of avoiding paying VAT or import duties, i think you need a bit of luck whatever way you try and do it.

kyuss

Veteran
racingaway said:
carbon frames give a far better ride than any other material.

I'd kind of have to disagree with that as a general statement. All things being equal, yes they do help flatten out road buzz, but to say that because it's carbon it will be better is ignoring build quality, geometry and size. I have an aluminium frame with a carbon rear end that rides much better than the full carbon frame it replaced.

ASC1951

Guru
Ademort said:
You were lucky that you got away with it this time. I think that you took a big risk especially that it was a TI Frame, probably quit expensive.
It was a risk I was prepared to take. I got a custom made and designed Ti frame, ti forks, bars, stem, seatpost and bottle cages delivered to my doorstep by trackable carrier for about $1200 ( couple of years ago, so a better exchange rate). I contacted several other buyers beforehand, who all reported complete satisfaction.

Top Bottom