Carbon frame query

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by ayceejay, 6 Aug 2012.

1. ayceejay

ayceejay Guru

This is my first carbon framed bike and I have no experience to inform me so...is it normal the frame to be noisy? I have ridden steel mostly before and never been aware of any noise except tyre hum. I changed the front wheel as an experiment and, although not silent the noise is less. It is kind of a hollow whistly sound, not very technical I know but should there be an sound at all?

2. OP
    OP
    ayceejay

ayceejay Guru

any not an

3. Hacienda71

Hacienda71 Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

A hollow whistle sound is more likely to be down to shape of frame and components etc rather than frame material. My carbon frame is just as silent as my steel and aluminium frames. I did get a whistle sound with some Mavic wheels with aero spokes, but I needed to be doing 40mph plus for it to happen.

4. MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

It's just singing to you :smile:

5. Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit msg me on kik for android

My carbon frames are all pretty much silent, I get a lovely whoooshing noise from my areo wheels but nothing else.
    Is it an areo frame of any discription?

6. OP
    OP
    ayceejay

ayceejay Guru

The bike is a Wilier Izoard XP with Ultegra and Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels.

7. berty bassett

berty bassett Guru

no - its faulty - give it to me and buy a new one - i'm partially deaf so can put up with the horrible drone

Jdratcliffe and V for Vengedetta like this.
  8. amaferanga

amaferanga Über Member

If it's only when going at a decent speed then it sounds like it may be the sound you get from bladed spokes.

9. OP
    OP
    ayceejay

ayceejay Guru

Thanks, it does seem from the adult response that the wheels would be the place to start investigating, the peanut gallery...not so much.:tired:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice