Carbon Frame Security Issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
I bought a Carbon bike this summer and the Frame Number is on a sticker on the underside of the BB, I have registered it with the Manufacturers, and it is well insured, but would like something a little more permanent as stickers are easily removable. I can also see this sticker fading/scrubbing off over time.

Does anyone know if it's possible to etch/engrave frame no/post code etc onto a Carbon frame and if so who does this? Police/LBS?

Also what other methods do you guys use to mark your bike frames for security purposes?

Drago

Legendary Member
Register on immobilise.com and buy some of their tamper proof steekers.

vickster

Legendary Member
I bought a Carbon bike this summer and the Frame Number is on a sticker on the underside of the BB, I have registered it with the Manufacturers, and it is well insured, but would like something a little more permanent as stickers are easily removable. I can also see this sticker fading/scrubbing off over time.

Does anyone know if it's possible to etch/engrave frame no/post code etc onto a Carbon frame and if so who does this? Police/LBS?

Also what other methods do you guys use to mark your bike frames for security purposes?
Police do security marking sessions, contact your local station for the upcoming dates

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you have a steady hand buy one of the small low voltage mini drills available from most DIY sheds for about a tenner and etch your postcode under the BB.

image.jpg

Use one of the carborundum stones, (top right).

BigAl68

Über Member
The local police will put special tamper proof stickers on and add it to one of the national databases. Saying that I have waited in twice for my local PCSO to come and do mine and they are yet to turn up.

U

User33236

Despite searching the entire frame on my Planet X RT58 I was unable to locate a serial number. It is now marked in four places using Datatag

BigAl68

Über Member
Despite searching the entire frame on my Planet X RT58 I was unable to locate a serial number. It is now marked in four places using Datatag

You are correct there isn't one. I even took the forks off mine as someone at planet x told me it was there... I should have known better to be honest to believe anything they tell you on the phone. What is this data tag thing as I have given up with the local police.

U

User33236

What is this data tag thing as I have given up with the local police.
I bought the dearer of the two kits. In it you get 4 templates, etching fluid and a bottle of "microdots". You stick the templates to your frame in various locations e.g. forks, chain stay down tube etc, and brush over with the etching fluid. The resultant etchings glow under UV light giving a unique reference and datatags phone number. The microdots come in an adhesive type solution that again glows under UV. You use this to mark components and accessories in discrete locations. Finally stick the tamper proof stocker to the frame and register your details on the company's website.

Top Bottom