Carbon Frame Vs. Cycle Rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-Zero

Über Member
I have previously read on CC that carbon frames shouldn't be clamped in workshop stands etc, but what are opinions on a carbon frame bike being carried on a bike rack, where all the weight is carried on the wheels.
The frame or seat post is held in place by a rubberised ratchet strap system, without applying any real pressure to the frame or seat post, and further rubberised ratchet straps hold the wheels in place.
I can add pipe lagging or similar to help protect the surfaces where the straps touch, but I can't think of any reason that the bike couldn't be carried safely and without putting undue strain on the frame, unless I'm missing the obvious ??

CCFiamma2.jpg

CCFiamma1.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Should be fine. The only time I have changed stuff is not clamp deep section carbon wheels, the ones I had for racing we're Hed Jets which are non structural carbon, so left standard wheels on for transporting.

So long as you don't over tighten, fine. Same with any material.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Seatposts tend to be much thicker and can be clamped firmly. I clamp my carbon frame in my workstand by the seatpost, no problems. If you don't need to clamp the frame in your carrier just strap it firmly, it should be fine. I assume yours is one of the drop down types you get on campervans.

Norm

If the seat post is strong enough to withstand enough pressure from the clamp not to slip down with a rider sitting on it, I reckon that it'll be strong enough to withstand the sort of pressure you could exert with a rubber strap like that. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G-Zero

G-Zero

Über Member
If the seat post is strong enough to withstand enough pressure from the clamp not to slip down with a rider sitting on it, I reckon that it'll be strong enough to withstand the sort of pressure you could exert with a rubber strap like that. :thumbsup:

That makes a lot of sense :thumbsup:

Top Bottom