Carbon/Mechanical anxiety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
tl;dr
Question at the end, back story first

I am a very experienced mechanic, with backgrounds of building race vehicles, and repairing, building and maintaining large automated machinery.

Though I have broken things here and there like everybody, I have thankfully never done anything that has been dangerous.

However, back in January, I had a skating accident in which I had an open fracture of both radius and ulna. These have been plated, my arm, and hand is back to pretty much full strength, and healed (minus some slow recovering nerve damage to my hand)

What has stayed, surprised me. As I've never been one to shy away from any activity, but now I find myself anxious about anything that could result in falling, and landing onto my arm.

This leads on to all the horror stories you read about carbon bikes, my bike currently has a carbon fork. My engineering knowledge tells me that carbon is supremely strong, and certainly comparable to metals with little to no usage fatigue.

So I purchased my first full carbon bike to build.

To fit the crown race of the integrated headset to the carbon fork (also has a carbon steerer, but where the crown race sits is actually aluminium), I opened up the vice slightly wider than the steerer.

Fitted an old headrace bearing over the crown race, and while holding the forks upside down near brake mount, hit them down with a few sharp strikes, so the old bearing struck the vice, pushing the crown on.

No unusual noises, no gauges in any of the surfaces. However, this doesn't help my irrational anxiety at the moment, with the fear that the impacts can have caused internal damage. That will fail when I am doing 30mph down a hill and I will die in a massive ball of fire (I even believed this would happen with rear mech after I fitted it and adjusted stop screws!).

Help my mind, was my method acceptable? Likelihood of invisible damage? Any simple checks that can be done to check the structural integrity of carbon before I ride it, to make me feel better?

Your method is perfectly acceptable and from the sounds of your experience, you would have known if you did something stupid. So, rest assured, all is well.
If you feel like checking, remove the fork again, put the steerer horizontally in the vice in the cavity just below the jaws and gently close the jaws until contact. Now push and pull on the fork blades and listen for noises. Internal damage will present with noises and visible localized movement. If you do this on the bike, you will hear noises as the races are forced this way and that way. This is NOT a reliable test.
Also note that your frame's head tube may over time develop a hairline crack around the head tube races (if they are aluminium inserts). This is also not serious but par for the course for an alu/carbon joint.

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
Thanks, just for piece of mind.

Strange that a bad physical injury, results in mental issues beyond the physical recovery :sad:

I just need to satisfy my anxiety over this :smile:

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
I fitted my crown race by cutting a slot in it and just pushing it over the steerer. With sealed cartridge bearings the crown race is only there to locate the bearing properly so it doesn't effect operation if there is a gap in it.

I had read this, wish I read it first though :biggrin:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thanks, just for piece of mind.

Strange that a bad physical injury, results in mental issues beyond the physical recovery :sad:

I just need to satisfy my anxiety over this :smile:
At least you're self aware enough to realise what's going on and you have enough mechanical experience to know what questions to answer. Once you start riding the bike, your confidence will grow :okay:

Top Bottom