Carbon Monoxide posioning - confirmed case in me, last night...

OK - I know this is a landlord thread.... but before you have my head off on a block I'm needing some advice. I ended up in A&E last night with a confirmed case of Carbon Monoxide posioning.

The position is this - we moved into a nice place in July, but there are issues only really apparent after you have moved it type problems.

Last night I ended up in A&E suffering from a confirmed case of (thankfully) mild carbon monoxide posioning. The boiler is next to the 4 gas rings... the extractor fan is possibly only a filter and due to torrential rain whilst I was cooking tea (using all 4 rings) I had both the door and the only window in the kitchen closed. they are usually open - I'm still adapting from living in a tent for 12 months and pretty much live with all the windows and doors open (though today I might have to go and find a jumper in a minute because I am actually getting cold sitting in a T-shirt without the heating on (which right now I would rather not use) and with a window open). OK - whilst I was cooking I noticed that my asthma was 'playing up', not an asthma attack but enough to warm me something was amiss (info - I used to be a PhD student in an organic chemistry lab). I looked around for the obvious and happened to notice the CO detector that we had purchased was not flashing green, but flashing red. Bringing it down to my level got that audible alarm sounding as well (they are 2 stage warnings btw). Around that time I went really dizzy and nausious and came close to passing out. Doors were opened, windows opened and gas turned off/down and the problem quickly resolved other than the need to find the closest A&E (OK we should have rung for an ambulance, but we are too used to being self sufficient from living it really remote areas). thankfully I'm OK, not great but whilst it was confirmed I was suffering from CO posioning, it only needed oxygen for treatment, though from all accounts my speech was badly slurred and I was hard to understand... I was discharged 4 hours after admission, so we are not talking major but CO kills and I know it has to be dealt with - I got lucky this time round.

So, I know there is a gas safety certificate for the boiler, but don't know about the cooker. I think we are rapidly becomming 'problematic' to her but know this has to be dealt with. Anyone any tactful suggestions please? I am considering the option of moving as well, but would prefer to stay put and need to stay on reasonable terms with her because she is also our neighbour.
 
OK - seems that worry and concern for me has dealt with the issue. She noticed that the door was not open this morning and that we were out late last night and called round to see if I was OK (and also to ask me to let her dog out later on for a water break, something I don't mind doing becuase he is great fun to play with and I have an excuse to take him for a walk).
Anyhow - gas engineer on the way and if the extractor fan is only a filter, it is going to be made into a proper extractor (easy to do its on an outside wall).

We'll take it from there and see how it goes. Still feeling a touch grotty but much better than last night.
 

Linford

Guest
I got CO poisoning about 15 years ago. I had a very old car in my garage which I decided spin up as it had not run for about 6 months
I opened the garage doors, and ran it for about 15 seconds, felt ill immediately, and got a blinding headache. It took about 2 weeks to go off. Hard lesson learned :sad:

You might feel the effects for while yet.

 
have to say it was the most painful blood test I have had done - arterial blood gases, just moving my wrist today hurts like blazes.. Also my potassium levels are low but guessing that is more a sodium/potassium balance issues cause by my adrenal gland issues than a not getting enough potassium issue - don't mention bananas....

sobering lesson here as well. really glad I had bought that CO detector... not so impressed with the idea of it taking a couple of weeks to feel better though, meant to be out tomorrow as a volunteer marshal in the tour of britain.... oh - fresh air will do me the world of good I'm sure...
 
sobering lesson here as well. really glad I had bought that CO detector... not so impressed with the idea of it taking a couple of weeks to feel better though, meant to be out tomorrow as a volunteer marshal in the tour of britain.... oh - fresh air will do me the world of good I'm sure...
CO takes some time to get out of the system because it bond permanently with your haemoglobinwhich IIRC it takes a few weeks for the body to fully refresh.
 

Brains

Legendary Member
Location
Greenwich
I'm a landlord.
You landlord HAS to have a gas certificate for the property, which HAS to be renewed annually.
In your paperwork you should have been given a copy of the certificate.
You have every right to insist on a copy of the certificate, which will have to be ( re) issued as changes are being made in a any case.
No certificate=no rental of the property
No decent letting agent would touch a property without a certificate

If you landlord even suggests they were not aware of these issues it would be a bid like not being aware there was a bit of a sporting event on last month. gas safety, gas inspections, gas certification etc are made very obvious by all the industry publications and all the agents.

If your landlord plays up then go to the NLA for advice
 

tyred

Legendary Member
Location
Ireland
Happened to my Mum and Dad a few years, just a few hours after they had the boiler serviced by an "expert." Took them a few weeks to recover completely as well.

The cat probably saved their lives as she was sick and my mum got up to put her out and deal with the mess and realised she wasn't feeling very well either. She had felt fine sitting in a chair.
 

Brains

Legendary Member
Location
Greenwich
Local Authorities take co2 poisoning very seriously, I see from last months Landlord industry rag that some land lord has been fined £60k and send down for 18 months for poisoning a family of 4 (no one died).

These type of stories appear most months, so along with deposits, gas certification is something every landlord should be right on top of as the penalties are severe
 

Maz

Legendary Member
To the OP: Glad you are making a recovery - good job you had the CO detector and had the presence of mind to realise what was happening.
 
To the OP: Glad you are making a recovery - good job you had the CO detector and had the presence of mind to realise what was happening.
thanks - my time in an organic chemistry post graduate lab with weekly (unplanned) visits from the fire service usually in the form of emergency call outs (including one for Carbon Monoxide) has always left me more aware. Had intended to be out cycling today, but the truth is I just don't feel like it today!
 
Top Bottom