Carbon Monoxide posioning - confirmed case in me, last night...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Are you starting to feel better?

Davidc

Guru
I've had CO problems with a gas cooker in the past. I was told that part of the problem was lack of ventilation, part was failure to keep the burners cleaned properly.

I'd always had the boiler serviced but never thought about the cooker. Had the burners cleaned and set up properly and the cooker hood changed to one which sent its exhaust outdoors and have had cookers checked at boiler service time ever since.

Brains

Legendary Member
Hi all
gas man/plumber has confirmed that both large rings on the hob are producing 200-300ppm Carbon Monoxide whe hot and even he was feeling ill by the end of testing. A new cooker is needed. Letting him let my landlady know, but he has said I am safe to use the 2 smaller rings which are not a problem (no CO at all), so don't have to use the microwave to boil pasta anymore!
Boiler is also fine (which is next to the gas hob).
sat nav, what sort of property are you in?
any legit gas man would have pulled the plug on any gas appliance that is producing co2.
In many cases thet simply shut off the entire service until its all bought up to spec

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I'm feeling a little more with it, not quite a spaced (at least until the plumber tested the cooker) and words are better, but still having some issues with spoken words, but it is better than it was, thank you. It's rather like the tail end of a bad cold/flu where you have a fuggy head but otherwise are OK just not 100%. went out on the bike yesterday which was good, only for 75mins but first time out on the bike since the incident, was nice to get out. Still haven't said anything to families, I know what their response will be, (mother and step father are both retired lawyers - worst case possible with mum also having been an A&E nurse - she tends to go from 0% to 100% smoothering care with nothing in between). Hoping to continue improving as the week goes on.

thanks for all the support. Emma

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
sat nav, what sort of property are you in?
any legit gas man would have pulled the plug on any gas appliance that is producing co2.
In many cases thet simply shut off the entire service until its all bought up to spec

Hi - we are in a converted stable block - literally. small compact and what we needed which was furnished (having sold everything we owned to cycle tour...) It's a borderline case. The legal requirement is more than 10 cubic meter sized room for the hob and a window that can be opened, which it has (the kitchen is 12 cubic meters in size). The problem only exists on 2 rings. It has been issues with a warning notice with works that must be carried out. The 2 smaller rings produce no carbon monoxide (CO) at all, and are fine to be used (this is even written on the warning notice). I'm not permitted to use the 2 larger rings and have no desire to. Cutting the gas to the entire property will take out hot water and heating for 2 flats and our home, so I would prefer to leave things as is and not use the 2 bad rings. The boiler has also been tested and is absolutely fine (I stood and watched).

My landlady has already stated she will be carrying out the works within the next 7-10 days. This includes a new gas hob, moving the hood, and hence cupboards above hood, and adding an external vent for the extractor fan/hood. Mortar also needs to be applied around the gas boiler flue where it has fallen out and the earthing for the gas pipes needs to be changed from the existing 7mm to 10mm which the new regs apparently state is needed.

There does not appear to be any desire to not do the work, she accepts the cooker is end of life and needs replacing and that means the kitchen will have to meet current regulation. The gas safety certificate expires in less than 4 weeks, so it will have to be done quickly and the place re-certified to stay legal.

Top Bottom