Carbon Monoxide posioning - confirmed case in me, last night...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have dealt with 1 fatality and 2 near miss fatals with CO so glad to see you still able to tell us about it.

asterix

Comrade Member
I got CO poisoning about 15 years ago. I had a very old car in my garage which I decided spin up as it had not run for about 6 months
I opened the garage doors, and ran it for about 15 seconds, felt ill immediately, and got a blinding headache. It took about 2 weeks to go off. Hard lesson learned :sad:

You might feel the effects for while yet.

312627_10150298367738704_4756674_n.jpg

I am glad that you have learned your lesson. Garages are for bikes; you have to be a bit strange to want to keep a car in 'em. There's no room, anyway.

I've had two close calls, but knew the signs:

Working in a shed with a paraffin heater running, after a couple of hours the area around my mouth started
feeling cold and slightly tingly.

The second time was in a garage with a car running, also cold around my mouth and starting to get that
strange numbness.

That's not to say everyone gets these warning signs!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Glad to hear that you caught it early and I hope you soon start to feel better.

I had no idea that gas rings could cause a problem. I'm not renting and do have my boiler checked regularly (in fact next service is due), but I've never had anyone look at the gas rings - should I do? I do have a monitor in the room with the boiler (in a bedroom!), but none in the kitchen.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
no idea either, but they are badly rusty and all of the rings burns with a blue inner but much more yellow outer. Also there is a general lack of ventilatio and I regretfully had both the window and the door closed at the time, something I have not previously done. We'll see what the gas engineer says on Monday, until then I am staying away from using it - so now need to learn how to microwave rice or get my trangia out with its gas adaptor! thanks Emma

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I don't know how Archie feels about this, but I've a nasty feeling that making dwellings more and more air tight is going to lead to an increase in carbon monoxide poisonings. As I understand it all gas hobs produce CO, but the amount of CO is determined by the mix of gas and air that is burnt. Wrong mix and you're breathing the bad stuff.

I always open the window when I cook, whatever the temperature outside. And, when our previous cooker took a while to light I junked it.

As a very small time landlord I look after my tenants safety much more than I do my own. Everything is checked and certified and I have two smoke and one co2 detector in each house (which tenants seem to just take the batteries out of ).
Really landlord should be on your side in wanting it all checked and safe. So hopefully they will do all they need to do without question.

It would be worth seeing if it had a valid safety certificate to see if they had skimped on things. If so make sure it gets done and checked in the future.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Normally gas rings and gas ovens burn efficiently with a constant blue flame so the problem of CO is a negligible one.

Dell's right that, as houses become more air tight, ventilation is more critical, not just to burn gas efficiently in the open but also to prevent condensation [and then mould] just from breathing, washing, bathing and drying things inside. If you have a chimney in your rooms then, by rule of thumb, you should have enough natural ventilation drawing air through the other rooms. An extract ducted to outside should remove any CO effectively- the extracted air has to be replaced which in existing houses occurs naturally through the building anyway.

Evryone should adequately ventilate rooms regardless of the airtightness of the construction, doors and windows.... it's best to open a window but you need to ventilate at high and low level to clear a room efficiently so ideally a vertically hung window or ideally two windows on opposite sides of the house/flat to create a good through draught , a bathroom window will vent the moist air after a bath or shower in less than a minute depending on the difference between the inside and outside temperatures- which saves having an inefficient fan toiling away, high up tight in one corner where the airflow is ineffective, running for 20 minutes or so... but then all the cost and benefit of heating the room go out the window!

In new houses I try to get people to install heat recovery ventilation which runs constantly [about the cost of an 11W light... so about 0.25kWh per day] extracting warm moist air from bathrooms and kitchens passing it over a heat exchanger to warm the incoming ducted fresh air to each habitable room [you can boost the extract rate in really damp areas].... you can recover up to 90% of the heat otherwise lost and the positive pressure in the habitable rooms naturally draws to the negative pressure, where the extract ducts are, taking out CO2, CO, moisture and cooking smells]. But, most of us can't do that even if we want to because we live in places where it's not feasible to fit the ducts and vents.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Be careful with the trangia! They're not designed to be used in enclosed spaces...

This space is fine for the trangia. We used to it having had a gas adaptor for nearly 20 years for the trangia and are used to using it in the house when the electricity at our last place went down which was a rather frequent even to be honest. The issue appears to be a combination of the old hob having issues - one ring in paritcular, and a lack of ventilation. The house is a converted stable block complete with breeze blocks and doors knocked through. the old stable openings are still there with a ground floor opening for each of the 3 rooms. I think the only room that qualifies as anywhere near air tight is regretfully the kitchen. It has been OK until now, using 2 or 3 rings. I have only had all 4 rings on once before and that was with the (small) window open at one end and the kitchen door open at the other end. This time around the only reason the door & window were closed was the torrential rain was bringing all the mossies inside (at one end of the kitchen) and the other was filling with water from the window being open - hence why the were closed.

Just been shopping to sort food for the rest of the week to avoid using the gas rings until they have been checked out. thankfully our microwave is a convention oven so I'm not totally lost. Now to figure out how to use a microwave for something more than just reheating a hot gel pack for my physio on my leg....

Brains

Legendary Member
Er, no. Lee_M is correct - it is the appliance which has to have the certificate, not the property, and it is one for each appliance.

errr, I have dozens of the things.
A triple copy single sheet of paper, green for tenant, yellow for landlord, white for gas inspector.
each gas item is listed within the single sheet.

I also have Co2 alarms in every property and multiple fire alarms.
I check all the alarms twice a year and I will fine any tenant £10 per battery removed

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm with Brains on this. The property has the certificate - but every appliance should be tested and listed.

ASC1951

Guru
I'm with Brains on this. The property has the certificate - but every appliance should be tested and listed.
Strictly, no. The certificate must show the address, and it is normal for it to list all the appliances on one certificate because landlords usually have them all done at once, but the regulations make it plain that the duty is to certify the appliance.

Let's say you own #32 and 34 and the central heating for both is run from a boiler in 32. You live in 32 and rent out 34. The boiler will still need a certificate because it serves a tenanted property (34) but will show the address of your home (32).

The precise requirements are set out in R36 of Part F of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Hi all
gas man/plumber has confirmed that both large rings on the hob are producing 200-300ppm Carbon Monoxide whe hot and even he was feeling ill by the end of testing. A new cooker is needed. Letting him let my landlady know, but he has said I am safe to use the 2 smaller rings which are not a problem (no CO at all), so don't have to use the microwave to boil pasta anymore!
Boiler is also fine (which is next to the gas hob).

Top Bottom