Carbon repairing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My carbon bike took a severe hit and badly bent the rear drive side dropout which was a non replaceable aluminium hanger. I thought that the frame may have been a write-off but I have had a new dropout fitted by HQ Fibre Products. It has come back today as good as new. I don't know how they got the old one out and the new one in as the carbon is very thin at the chain stay, seat stay junction.
Marvelous job for £94 inc p&P.
It may be of use to someone in the future to have a note of this company.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cheers Rich.. company noted.
Can you pass on the contact details.
Cheers
Ian

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Just seen this post from Heart attack on here last year. Sounds good enough to me
and I am glad it turned out OK Rich

HeartAttack said:
Google HQ Fibre Products, Norwich they are local to me and if its carbon and can be fixed they are the people to do it, Mike the main man is the one who made the first Lotus bike for Boardman, I've also seen him repair carbon wheels and snapped frames, made them as good as new and once painted in the case of a frame no idea it'd been fixed.

He sorted my Zipp wheel out last month after I hit a pot hole hard while racing, rim cracked, 3 days later and £46 lighter in the wallet I was back on the road, unless you know where to look you can't see the repair. Frame's I think cost about £60+vat per tube, more tubes then a sliding scale.

If I was you send a frame to the experts to sort don't risk a DIY job on something as important as a frame. It'll only cost you a phone call to see if anything can be done. Oh and he doesn't have email or the like, so phone is the best route, plus you'll talk to the man himself.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
HQ Fibre Products
Vale Farm Workshop
Blofield Road
Lingwood
Norfolk
NR13 4AJ

The whole thing was done and dusted in a week including posting both ways.

newhanger002.jpg

newhanger001.jpg

The other thing to note is that I won't buy another bike without a replaceable hanger! I pointed out to Scott UK that as this years model does have it then mine could be deemed a design fault and they might wish to contribute financially. He blanked that one!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Blimey. That's good to know.

Edit: That carbon tolerates a fix like this. Not that Scott don't want to know.

Globalti

Legendary Member
With a break in the middle of a tube like the one illustrated I wouldn't hesitate to get it repaired or even attempt a repair myself. At the end of a tube or a stay, I would certainly send it to a professional.

I just know you would have liked to get away from the collision 'Scott free', rich, but you must be pretty pleased with that! I think there needs to be a reference list of all these top dudes who provide services like this. "Admin!" :smile:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif said:
I just know you would have liked to get away from the collision 'Scott free', rich, but you must be pretty pleased with that! I think there needs to be a reference list of all these top dudes who provide services like this. "Admin!" :ohmy:

I'm over the moon, Martin! I was looking at a new frame plus parts but a new bike would have been more realistic.
As it is I need a new wheel £170, frame repair £94 and I have an old derailleur so not too bad all things considered.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Thread resurrection alert

Good morning Rich and co :okay:
I am now very local to the repairing company you used Rich and have a need for their skills…. I was just wondering if the repair held up well in the longer term? I have a Cannondale Supersix 2013 that I have a particular fondness for - the snag being that the bottom bracket shell has become unbounded from the frame and in layman’s terms creaks like a creaky thing when any semblance of power is put down. Not much of an issue at present I grant you but I would like to potentially have it repaired and I may rebuild the old girl. Seems a waste to have it stripped down and gathering dust in the garage for years?

hello by the way :hello:

Top Bottom