Carbon Seat Post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

A number of weeks ago I bought my dream bike, a Bianchi Infinito CV. Because of a previous ski injury, I have one leg slightly shorter than the other and I use shims to "build up" my shoe which helps a bit. Anyway, because of this shortness in my leg, I'm very particular about my saddle height and tend to adjust it a few times before I'm happy with it. I specifically bought a torque wrench for the purposes of doing this but I think its best to have one anyway on hand. This is the torque wrench that I bought and used and it was very good; I did try it out on some chairs first of all to get the feel of it:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-x-tools-essential-torque-wrench-set/

My question is: I used the torque wrench on the seat post and stopped when it clicked. Everything seems ok, no slipping or anything. I'm concerned about two things though: sometimes when I'm out of the saddle or when I'm sitting down on the saddle it makes a sort of clicking noise (not loud). The other thing I'm concerned about is there seems to be a mark (it feels like a scratch) on the saddle post (pics enclosed)

Is this slight clicking noise and the image on the saddle post anything to worry about?

Attachments

• IMG_20200422_171238.jpg
    IMG_20200422_171238.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20200422_171234.jpg
    IMG_20200422_171234.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
I don't see a mark that's anything to worry about.

I would suggest you get some carbon seatpost paste to put on seatpost and give you some added security. It may stop the clicking noise.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Beautiful bikes the Infinito's :wub: The seatpost clamp design is shared with the Aria, XR3, XR4 and possibly the sprint. With carbon paste applied to the post and the clamp bolt torqued correctly you shouldn't have any problems with noise or slipping, it grips very well in my experience. You may find it hard to release - the trick is to treat it as you would an old quill stem. Loosen the bolt a few turns then tap the head of the bolt or allen key to release the wedge. The seatpost will then slide freely, and once removed the clamp will (without fail) fall down the seat tube :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Thanks to everyone who replied. I was worried that the seatpost had a crack in it and also because of the slight clicking noise, so I took it to a bike shop and they put on carbon paste and tightened it for me and so far, so good.

I am going to invest in some carbon paste anyway as I think, as with a torque wrench, if you have carbon, these are good things to have at hand.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi again

Can anyone recommend carbon seat paste and how much do I put on? Is it just a matter of putting a blob on my finger and putting a thin layer on the seat post or do I also put some in the inside of the tube where the seat post goes?

Thanks in advance

J

Top Bottom