Carbon Seat Post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Do's and don'ts please.

I've not used one or fitted one before, it's going in a steel frame, I'll get as much of the existing grease out as I can, check for burrs and I've got some carbon assembly paste stuff.

Daft questions:

- putting a light bracket on it will be fine won't it?
- even clamping it lightly in a workstand is not a good idea is it?

Ta.

On my cheaper carbon post I've clamped a rear reflector on its been there a while now and I've had no problem, however with my dearer post I avoid attaching things, go figure !
I've deliberately avoided clamping any of them as I always believed this was a bad thing.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I found mine need gripping paste, which my LBS provided for free (didn't even buy the thing there). I also have a light mounted on it, no problems (so far)...

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks all, it was surprisingly hard to resist the temptation to twist it in.
Cheers Mr Attrick.

My LBS has given me a few freebies lately so it was about time I bought something from him, might have to get more carbon posts to use up my tube of paste though.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't worry about attaching lights and reflectors or even a mudguard. The post is immensely strong and the tiny clamping action of the attachment won't bother it at all.

mr-marty-martin

should be fine, some mechanics use carbon paste at evens but the only realy use it cos they dont have to pay for it, its good but not a neccesity.

i usualy dont use any grease on any of my seat posts, as i dont want them to slip...

yenrod

longers said:
Do's and don'ts please.

I've not used one or fitted one before, it's going in a steel frame, I'll get as much of the existing grease out as I can, check for burrs and I've got some carbon assembly paste stuff.

Daft questions:

- putting a light bracket on it will be fine won't it?
- even clamping it lightly in a workstand is not a good idea is it?

Ta.

I done away with the messing of carbon & bought one of these..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9945

9945.Jpg

Ok, it cost a fortune (got it for 84 in ribbles) but in the long run it'll be worth it !

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/9945.Jpg

In the long run technically its light & should last ! & is 184grams :biggrin:

MajorMantra

mr-marty-martin said:
i usualy dont use any grease on any of my seat posts, as i dont want them to slip...

You'll be sorry if you adopt that approach with an alloy post in a steel frame. Learnt that lesson the hard way. :biggrin:

Matthew

Top Bottom