Carbon Seatpost.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris42

i have a new Easton EC 70 carbon seatpost.
Does anyone greas carbon to insert it into a carbon frame?

Didn' ton my last seatpost (carbon to) but did get water in the frame.

Cheers

yenrod

Dont go carbon on a seapost they crack !

monnet

Guru
Yes. A bit of anti seize grease is just the thing. Don't know what you're riding but chances are, even if it's a carbon frame, there will be an alloy sleeve in the seat tube. If you don't grease the seat pin and sleeve will seize together making any future adjustments very difficult.

Hope you've got a torque wrench to tighten it up just enough but not too much.

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

monnet said:
Yes. A bit of anti seize grease is just the thing. Don't know what you're riding but chances are, even if it's a carbon frame, there will be an alloy sleeve in the seat tube. If you don't grease the seat pin and sleeve will seize together making any future adjustments very difficult.

Hope you've got a torque wrench to tighten it up just enough but not too much.

Trek 120 carbon
yes have torque wrench.
cheers

monnet

Guru
Steve Austin said:
Chris, you want some of this or nothing

Carbon on carbon can't 'seize' but it can slip, hence the need for some of the pace stuff i linked to.

Steve's right but check you've not got an alloy sleeve in there. I'm not sure about Trek 120's but I was surprised recently to discover an alloy sleeve in a Kuota frame. Carbon does stick to alloy. The seat post took plenty of penetrating oil before it came out.

A conversation with a mechanic revealed that most carbon frames have plenty of alloy in them, mostly at the joints. It's all to do with maintaining shape and strength during the moulding process and obviously once the frame is set you can't remove anything inside it.

I'd recommend Tacx Carbon Assembly Compound.
It's a bit like grease, but it's water-based rather than oil so it won't attack the carbon, and it has tiny glass-fibre balls in it in order to 'grip' - stopped my c/f seatpost slipping in my c/f frame.

You can buy tubs of the stuff for £10/12, but ProBike Kit do a smaller 'syringe' thing for £3.98 and there's plenty in there
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1637

fuzzy29

Steve Austin said:
Chris, you want some of this or nothing

Carbon on carbon can't 'seize' but it can slip, hence the need for some of the pace stuff i linked to.

Glad I clicked on this link today, I have a carbon seatpost and I've just bought a carbon frame. Cheers for the link Steve, have just ordered some of that Pace grease.

John Wr

Excellent choice of seatpost however one word of caution with the EC70. My 3 year old version has flats on the front and rear faces of the post which are there to prevent pinching of the carbon when the clamp is tightened. Also allow water to get into the frame, hence you are correct to look for some kind of sealant or grease. My post is used in an alloy frame, which has a hole drilled in the bottom bracket to allow any water to escape.

John.

Top Bottom