Carbon thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I've decided I want to move to a carbon roadie for sportives.

I am a massive fan of B'Twin bikes but want to get my best 'bang for buck' so to speak. I'd be comfortable spending about £2k on something.

Where to start?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

Where to start?
Why carbon?

I do have a carbon bike, but it was bought purely on specification and features, the frame material was almost irrelevant. Just getting a carbon bike for carbon's sake seems to be a bit of a pointless aim, surely you want a bike that is comfortable, fast and light for riding a sportive, and these should be the factors that drive your search for a new bike. Simply specifying carbon guarantees none of these.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

adscrim

Veteran
Giant TCR advanced pro - you should managed to get the 2018 mechanical ultegra version for £2k due to 2019 bikes being released. I got one this summer (TCR Adv Pro 1) and it rides like a dream. Stock wheels are giant branded tubeless carbon clinchers - I believe the workings are actually DT Swiss.

I moved to this from a 2012 BMC SLR01 with 6870 ultegra Di2 and carbon tubulars and I prefer the Giant in every regard. It really is a fantastic bike for the money.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why carbon?

I do have a carbon bike, but it was bought purely on specification and features, the frame material was almost irrelevant. Just getting a carbon bike for carbon's sake seems to be a bit of a pointless aim, surely you want a bike that is comfortable, fast and light for riding a sportive, and these should be the factors that drive your search for a new bike. Simply specifying carbon guarantees none of these.

Indeed, and a lot of high quality alloy frames, the wonderful CAAD10 being but one, are lighter than much of the intermediate priced carbon anyway.

Write down a list of essentials, and a list of desirables. Use that to create a shortlist of 3 within you budget. Go ride them, and buy the one that rides the bestest, regardless of the frame material. If it happens to be carbon, great. If it doesn't, great.

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

Don't, really don't.

I am happy to post as a Luddite and nothing that I have tried has convinced me to change, I have a bike with a full carbon frame 16 spoke wheels and one with a 531 frame and 36 spoke wheels that is 6 pounds heavier.

The 531 has 52/42 chain rings and the carbon 50/34.

Depending upon how fit I am on the day the difference between the 52 or 50 chain ring outweighs everything else.

Some days 52*15 is a bit easy and 50*15 feels better, other days the reverse is true.

Novelty is great, the carbon bike has Di2, but the fun soon wears off and I prefer the steel bike.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might find this interesting;

View: https://youtu.be/h3RG5dztrXM

FishFright

More wheels than sense

I am a massive fan of B'Twin bikes but want to get my best 'bang for buck' so to speak. I'd be comfortable spending about £2k on something.

Where to start?

By getting a test ride of the ones you like the look of then not asking about carbon bikes on here because 80% of the respondents are only interested in telling you that they would by something else entirely and one guy will tell you that anymore then £10 is a huge conspiracy.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
By getting a test ride of the ones you like the look of then not asking about carbon bikes on here because 80% of the respondents are only interested in telling you that they would by something else entirely and one guy will tell you that anymore then £10 is a huge conspiracy.

Amen.

Nah, i'm just wanting some opinions. I ride a B'Twin Ultra 700 which is Shimano 105 aluminium w/ carbon forks. I recently upgrade to Mavic Kysrium wheels and boy do they make a helluva difference to my ride. So going to start with Mavic Cosmic wheels and build it up from there...

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
B7F0136E-3C0D-4645-8CB2-84D463A3E4DD.jpeg
Only size 54cm available, this Carbon Ultegra Disc Scott Addict is reduced from £2699 to £1349!
You also get a free Jacket apparently worth £170.
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-addict-10-disc-road-bike-2018-p329177

Edit - Extra 1% off via Quidco too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom