Carbon thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Giant or Cube seemed to be good VFM when I was looking. - It you want something a bit different I would seriously take a look at the Dolan DR1.
Its probably gone now - but there was an offer off a Vitus Di2 for around £2200

adamangler

Veteran
I've just bought a defy advanced and its the most comfortable bike I've ridden.

Some good deals on 2018 models

User66445

I've decided I want to move to a carbon roadie for sportives.

I am a massive fan of B'Twin bikes but want to get my best 'bang for buck' so to speak. I'd be comfortable spending about £2k on something.

Where to start?
For a start, ignore all the unhelpful posts about carbon bikes from the 'anything but carbon' brigade. I bought a carbon bike a couple of years back, and it is the best bike I've ridden. It's a Time, which stands out from the rest as the frame is built in Europe, not Taiwan or China, and, if you turn up at the factory in Lyon they give you a tour plus a free lunch. Not sure where you'd find them in the UK, but they start at the 2600€ according to their website.

Last edited:
U

User169

Prolly a bit late to the party, but if you’re looking bang for buck, canyon has to be worth a look.

U

User169

Had a few people in the club buy canyon, they have now all been sold, Does not say much for canyon.

Interesting. Is there any common reason? Peeps I know with them seem pretty happy.

Milzy

Guru
Giant TCR advanced pro - you should managed to get the 2018 mechanical ultegra version for £2k due to 2019 bikes being released. I got one this summer (TCR Adv Pro 1) and it rides like a dream. Stock wheels are giant branded tubeless carbon clinchers - I believe the workings are actually DT Swiss.

I moved to this from a 2012 BMC SLR01 with 6870 ultegra Di2 and carbon tubulars and I prefer the Giant in every regard. It really is a fantastic bike for the money.
^^^ This 100%. The B’Twin is a decent bike but bike snobs will look down at it. Plus the TCR is better although a 5 year old frame design.

Drago

Legendary Member
Had a few people in the club buy canyon, they have now all been sold, Does not say much for canyon.

I don't dislike them, but was never especially a fan. Flash labels on the finishing kit doesnt make a mediocre frame ride any better - a lesson your chums have learned. Chrome dont get you home.

Conversely, the likes of the lower range Giant Defy gives the buyer the best frame they can for the budget, and makes it possible by using cheaper, but still effective, bolt ons.

Nevertheless, time and time again folk ignore how a bike performs as a package and without even test riding one buy a Canyon (or whatever similar direct to the buyer business model brand) and are either disappointed, or rave like idiots about how good they are without really knowing any better because they didnt try the rival with the better frame.

Sorry for the slight diversion, but that sort of thing annoys me a bit. People wouldn't buy an inferior car simply because it came with dressrd leather and OZ rims, yet they seem happy to do so with bicycles, and sellers are happy to reel them in.

Top Bottom