Carbon vs Ali wheels (Braking surface)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
I knock out a few hilly commuting miles and go through about 2 set's of wheels a year, each only getting about 5k miles before the braking surface becomes worryingly concave.

Just a though but would a carbon set of wheels last longer, I wouldn't mind spending extra if they lasted longer?

Failing that it's moving over to disc's but that's a new bike!

They don't last half as long and provide much poorer braking. Stick to alu or go for discs. A disc frame may even cost less than a set of fancy carbon wheels.

Also, you say worrying concave? How much latitude do you allow before swapping rims. 1mm?

Finally, have you tried Koolstop Salmon pads? These reduce rim wear significantly.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
They don't last half as long and provide much poorer braking. Stick to alu or go for discs. A disc frame may even cost less than a set of fancy carbon wheels.

Also, you say worrying concave? How much latitude do you allow before swapping rims. 1mm?

Finally, have you tried Koolstop Salmon pads? These reduce rim wear significantly.
...They follow the shape of the end of my finger! and yep I use either Koolstop or Swisstop bot really good

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
...They follow the shape of the end of my finger! and yep I use either Koolstop or Swisstop bot really good
I would look into buying a disc braked commuter......then its just pads that wear and not the wheels. Can always use nice carbon wheels then too, without worrying about winter grime and sludge wearing them down

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
I would look into buying a disc braked commuter......then its just pads that wear and not the wheels. Can always use nice carbon wheels then too, without worrying about winter grime and sludge wearing them down
Thought about a disc commuter/all rounder, will have to have a think about saving for one!

Tim Hall

But if the rim is very thick to start with, you might not need to change it. Get busy with a measuring gauge, like this one, and replace when thickness < 1mm. Or buy rims with rear indicators built in.

Top Bottom