Carbon Vs Ti

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
ha ha! how weird! I've jus logged in to ask the same question...

So here I go…

What would you chose for a frame material and why ?

+1

Titaniums more flexible and forgiving if you're going off road. Carbon Fibre is stiffer if you're staying on the road.

Both opinions I've read, neither have I had the pleasure of testing out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Titaniums more flexible and forgiving if you're going off road. Carbon Fibre is stiffer if you're staying on the road.

Both opinions I've read, neither have I had the pleasure of testing out.

Spot on. I have a carbon road bike, which is not springy in feel but incredibly shock-absorbing.

I have a Ti mountain bike, which rides so smooth you'd think you had a puncture. In fact the first time I rode a Ti bike I stopped to check the rear tyre.

Matty

Never tried titanium, but the carbon road bike is (to me) surprisingly comfortable.

PpPete

Legendary Member
In terms of the ride, it's much more about how the properties of each material are designed in to a frame, than the actual material itself.

However, I knew my new bike would have to share an over-crowded garage with kid's MTB's etc, so I felt CF was at too much risk of damage. Since I could get everything I wanted in a Ti bike (albeit one with CF forks) the decision kind of made itself.

avsd

Guru
I have both Ti and Carbon road bikes. I enjoy both. Carbon for Sportives and summer club runs. Ti for winter and commuting

After killing a carbon seatpost with nothing more than an allen key, I'd go Ti if I could afford it.
angry.gif

The penny jar is growing...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You can design Ti bikes to be as stiff as you like. I remember top (ex) pro Robert Millar having a custom Ti bike made for him for a Pro Cycling magazine road bike test. His specification was basically that he wanted the bike to be as stiff as the stiffest Aluminium bikes available at the time. He got what he wanted ...

My Cannondale is a very stiff Al bike and I really like it. If I stomp hard on the pedals, the bike takes off like a scalded cat. I make it comfortable enough to ride by using lower tyre pressures to take some of the sting out of rough road surfaces.

My Basso is made from oversized steel tubing so it is stiffer than most steel frames, but I still flex it when putting a lot of power through the pedals. I can get the chain to rub against the front mech. and I don't like that.

I always quite fancied a Ti road bike but I'd probably go for the Robert Millar approach and go for extra stiffness.

I'd like to try a CF bike some time to see what I think. If ithe magic combination of light weight, extreme stiffness and comfort is possible, then I'd certainly be interested in that. The only thing putting me off is CF's catastrophic failure mode. My bikes get the odd knock and scrape but they still last me 10 years or more. I don't like the idea of my bike frame exploding a year after I scraped it against a cafe wall! :eek:

Top Bottom