Carbon vs WD40 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedelpower

Regular
Now I have well and truly got the cycling bug I'm thinking of upgrading my Raleigh r100 and get myself a lapierre full carbon bike but after every ride on my Raleigh r100 I wash down with the hose pipe,dry off the bike and spray near enough the hole frame, forks and working parts with WD40 and then wipe down again. Is this ok to do on carbon bikes watched Martin Ashton road trip on YouTube and they spray carbon with the stuff.

Is this ok ?

musa

Über Member
:ohmy: NO NO NO

OP
OP
pedelpower

pedelpower

Regular
Not a good advert for wd40 then as they spray carbon frame after Martin Ashton finishes :smile:

So just soap and water then ? Lightly oil shiny parts with oily rag ?

jack smith

Veteran
I wouldn't, it attracts dirt like mad, I got a big bottle of car wax cleaner from poundland, it's a green liquid In a bottle, I just use warm water with abit of the liquid in it with poundland sponges (3 a pound) til all the dirt is off , wipe it dry then spray the liquid on with an old window cleaner spray bottle and polish with a microfiber cloth also from poundland, I've done a heck of a lot of cleans and am still only on £3 ;) and it come a out better than stuff such as muck off and polish

You shouldn't use WD40 on a bike. Over time, it degrades rubber. Use GT85 (which also smells nicer).

potsy

Rambler
I wouldn't, it attracts dirt like mad, I got a big bottle of car wax cleaner from poundland, it's a green liquid In a bottle, I just use warm water with abit of the liquid in it with poundland sponges (3 a pound) til all the dirt is off , wipe it dry then spray the liquid on with an old window cleaner spray bottle and polish with a microfiber cloth also from poundland, I've done a heck of a lot of cleans and am still only on £3 ;) and it come a out better than stuff such as muck off and polish
How much is it? :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
I use WD40 on my bikes both carbon and ally, not had a problem in the 25+ years I have been doing so. Spray on, leave a few minutes and may wipe off, in truth I seldom do, people often compliment how clean the bikes look in the racks, never had my tyres dissolve and not had the sticky problem somebody described.

screenman

Legendary Member
Mixed reviews now but has anyone got any facts on carbon vs wd40 ?
I don't spray it anywhere near my tires :smile:
I have not found any reason not to use it apart from gossip, as I said I have sprayed my bikes for 25+ years without problems.

I will spray part of a frame today and cling film it ( this stops the solvents evaporating off) and see what happens.

Top Bottom