Carbon vs WD40 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Mixed reviews now but has anyone got any facts on carbon vs wd40 ?
I don't spray it anywhere near my tires :smile:
I estimate the harm done on carbon by WD40 to be approximately zero. But use the WD40 very sparingly and, in general, keep it away from stuff that needs oil or grease. It's of questionable value as a lubricant and can thin up the lube on the stuff that needs thick stuff. Actually, I think the only thing I've used it for is loosening up slightly stiff cables.

Peteaud

Veteran
I have not found any reason not to use it apart from gossip, as I said I have sprayed my bikes for 25+ years without problems.

I will spray part of a frame today and cling film it ( this stops the solvents evaporating off) and see what happens.
Now that is brave. :wacko:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I use similar cleaning regime as OP, but light misting of GT85 overall to finish (on alloy and steel frames as yet). Any problem with this approach on carbon?

OP
OP
pedelpower

pedelpower

Regular
Hi thanks for all the advise think I'll stick to lightly misting but change to gt85 and only do this on my steel frame bike. Once a get my carbon bike I'll just use soap and water and prob the wash and wax idea. Thanks for advice.

Peteaud

Veteran
No, that is confident.

Over confidence, may lead to :-
TarSands-600.jpg

:laugh:

I use similar cleaning regime as OP, but light misting of GT85 overall to finish (on alloy and steel frames as yet). Any problem with this approach on carbon?
No problem with GT85.

ayceejay

Guru
I think you will be alright with WD 40 if that is your preference over a polish, the thing to be wary of is degreasers as some of these could damage the clear coat.

Kookas

Über Member
I think you will be alright with WD 40 if that is your preference over a polish, the thing to be wary of is degreasers as some of these could damage the clear coat.

I don't think WD40 and GT85 are aggressive enough. I hope not, at least.

Top Bottom