Carbon...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is it, really?
Moulded carbon-fibre reinforced plastic. A similar, but much tougher thing to GRP, or glass-fibre reinforced plastic.

In electric bass terms, it's called graphite, but it's the same thing. My main bass has a pair of maple rods wrapped in 'graphite' inlaid either side of the truss rod, to make the neck stiffer.
Some bass necks, like some bikes, are wholly carbon-fibre (Status Graphite, Modulus Graphite), and one make has a solid square carbon bar in place if the truss rod.

Why am I blethering about this?
Just my OCD, really. Anything actually made from just 'carbon' or 'graphite' would be slightly stiffer than blancmange. Think pencil lead or the centre rod from an old zinc-carbon battery.
So what should it REALLY be called?
CRP for carbon-fibre reinforced plastic? Certainly has no ring to it.
This is merely idle musing, the marketing bozos will make it sound magic, as they do with everything else.
Happy Saturday!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Carbon fibre reinforced polymer, shortened to carbon fibre works for me. I ride a bike made out of it, hit things with it (hockey) and take a flight in an aeroplane made of it, I tend not to worry about it. A composite by any other name would smell as sweet.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Laminated composition moulded bike just sounds a mouthful..

Carbon frame just says its not metal to the purchasing public.
I like most things carbon

In the engineering principle it's not much different from reinforced concrete.
my bike might as well be made out of concrete for all the good it'd do me!
A friend with a BSA C15 used to say they'd've made the bikes out of concrete but they discovered steel was heavier :smile:

User66445

The Time site is worth a look. In fact, I've heard rumours the factory is open to visits, so you can see the CF being made. Oh, and potentially get a free meal, according to some unreliable French sources :smile:

Top Bottom