Cardiff to Croydon - route advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got a really nice route sorted, which I've refined over the years, for my various attempts to cycle from home to Cardiff, for the start of the Cardiff to Swansea FNRttC. The section I've got for Wantage to Cardiff works perfectly with some gorgeous scenery and very quiet back roads, so when I'm back home from The Bike Show, I'll post a link.

I've got the link for the route from Wallingford to Cardiff showing here. If you're aiming for Croydon, then you're probably better off leaving that route around Chipping Sodbury and heading toward Chippenham and the A4.

Having said that, your original route is good, as I've done most of those roads in the past.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
I've got the link for the route from Wallingford to Cardiff showing here. If you're aiming for Croydon, then you're probably better off leaving that route around Chipping Sodbury and heading toward Chippenham and the A4.

Having said that, your original route is good, as I've done most of those roads in the past.
Fab. Thanks Adam. I'm amending the route to take into account all the suggestions.

U

User482

I know the route between the bridge and Swindon - @Flying Dodo has it spot on IMO. My only caveat is if you're riding out of Newport at a quiet time, the direct route on the A4810 through Llanwern is absolutely fine, and more direct than your plan. Then I would recommend the same route via Caldicot to the bridge.

Your route goes right by Leigh Delamere and Membury services, so there's really no need to ride through Swindon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hello :hello:.
And yep, missing you all.
Alas, and I wont go on, but misdiagnosis's, incompetent solicitors and their useless money-grabbing private Drs. have left me in a state cycling is pretty much off the agenda till 2019. Deeply unimpressed and ever so lonely.
Anyhow. Been meaning to add to this ride chat.
If heading slightly South near the A3, avoid the Runnymede RBT. Baring it being the worst RBT ever, even at the best of times, construction work is due to start there soon which will make it hell on earth as a cyclist to use.
Mile 129 (Charvil) to mile 144 (Datchet) is fine and a pretty route I've done many a time. Going through Windsor can be snarly, but plenty of places to eat and wee.
At mile 149 I would suggest carrying straight on along Bedfont Rd into Bedfont, along the Staines road and right at and along Bedfont Lane, dog leg right over the railway line then left along the Hanworth Rd into the Uxbridge Rd.
At this point, you can then carry on cutting through Hampton/Bushy Park, or you can take a slight detour left down the Hounslow Rd of about a mile to my gaff for refreshments, drinks, bacon butties and a warm welcome, which is just off Powdermill Lane. This is depending on the date and time, as I currently cant see neither alas however..

There after, up and until New Malden, my local knowledge drops alas. But I hope this helps.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Davywalnuts!!! :smooch::hugs: I'm so sorry to hear of your disasters. You should come along to a forum drinks meet-up sometime, or join the Fridays for breakfast one day. You have been missed.

And I am missing you all deeply soo too. I have to avoid the CC forum a bit as it makes me rather sad and envious of your jolly's you can still all do.

I have planned to, a few times, but, my multitude of sufferings have prevented me so so far. But I am keeping a eye here and there, so you never know.

U

User482

The much-missed @Davywalnuts intervention reminds me: I did this route from Bristol to Twyford last month: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21020948

Lovely cycling for the most part - even that section of the A4 is fine (though there are alternatives that are slightly longer and slower). There's a very steep climb at 60km but it looks as though there's a longer and shallower alternative. I went past a motorway services at 40km.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We've actually ditched this ride for this year. Due to various logistics.

Hey @Davywalnuts good to see you back here bud.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Ah, that is a shame it is ditched. However, the offer will still stand in the future if I can help in any way.

And good to hear from you all too, thank you.

Davy! Have a like (well, two, actually) for posting, not for all your tribulations. I hope things get better for you sooner rather than later. If you can, do get to a Friday's breakfast or CC meet, if you feel up to it: we've missed you.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Davy! Have a like (well, two, actually) for posting, not for all your tribulations. I hope things get better for you sooner rather than later. If you can, do get to a Friday's breakfast or CC meet, if you feel up to it: we've missed you.
Hey.. you're one to talk...when we seeing you next?

Top Bottom